1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Solo bass looping?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by 5 string tapper, Nov 9, 2012.

1. 5 string tapper

5 string tapper

:help:
    I'm using a Looperlative LP2 and also have a Behringer Virtualizer Pro that has a sampler function on it. Both of these devices have MIDI in/out, can I synch them together so the loops from each are consistent with each other? I can't find much information on the LP2 outside of the manual (which is a bit sparse) but I really love it for looping solo bass. I would like to try and emulate an LP1 with my current gear.

Steve, I know you use the Looperlative LP1 so I thought you might have some insight into how the LP2 might be utilized in a solo bass context using MIDI and another looping device. Also any suggestions for a feedback control pedal for the LP2? I tried a Roland EV5 and it didn't work. I don't have any experience using volume/expression pedals to control functions. Someone on Looper's Delight forum posted that a Boss FV50H works but I'm not sure how they have it set up.

Thanks
    -Ben
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Have a look at the MIDI implementation charts in the manuals of the gear you want to lock in MIDI-sync Ben. If "Clock" under the "System Real Time" section is listed as an available feature you'll most likely be able to sync up your loops. I've had a lot of fun with this.
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Hi Ben, sorry I'm late on this one... I haven't as yet had a proper play with an LP2, so I've no idea at all how the MIDI is implemented, or what it's set up to control... I know that the LP1 had some problems syncing externally - it's not a part of the functionality I've experimented with much...

what you might want to try is putting them in series, and looping from one to the other, so you do a short loop on the first looper in the chain, and then play a longer phrase over the top, looping that and the loop together into the other looper. You can then either stop the first loop and do something else with that pedal, or mess around with it (play it backwards, slice it up, do all those weird things the LP2 is capable of to it :) )

As an example - other than the internal sync on the LP1, there's no looper sync on new album, but there are a couple of moments, most notably on the last track, where I loop what Daniel is playing so we stay in sync (the main drum groove is looped with the bass part, and then we both play over the top... it gets tricky to tell who's doing what :) )

http://music.stevelawson.net/album/accidentally-on-purpose

cheers!

Steve