1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Solo Contemporary Music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Mar 7, 2006.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

I'm thinking about doing a solo recital in the Fall semester this calendar year (next school year). I'm hoping to do mostly "contemporary" pieces, mainly because I like that music, and I just think it would be fun. So far the stuff I have found and am interested in are the following:

Theraps - Iannis Xenakis

Parable for solo Double bass - Persechetti (it has the h right?)

A piece that my composition friend wrote at school - Doxa

I'm thinking to compose one with some type of tape or computer thing running during the piece

and MAYBE Trittico per G.S. by Brian Ferneyhough (I looked at the score in the library and have heard a recording. As much as I enjoy the piece, I haven't decided if learning how to read his musical language is worth it yet.)

Does anyone know of any more contemporary or new pieces for solo double bass? Looking at what I have, I guess I'm trying to find something to possibly replace the Ferneyhough. 5 pieces would be quite enough, especially since they'll all be solo. I'll be sick of hearing bass at that point.

Anyway guys, thanks in advance.
  2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Lucio Berio - Psy
    Henze - Seranades

Any of the Paul Ramsier pieces (On an album with Gary Karr and Mark Morton)
  3. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

Rajbaran - Ballade for solo bass
    Hindemith Sonata
    Tubin Concerto
  4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Todd Coleman has a few pieces for bass that I really like.
  5. Anonymous75966

Anonymous75966

This is sort of a tangent but might interest you - I recently saw a lecture by a cellist named Frank Cox who specializes in "neo-complexity" music like Ferneyhough. He said the way that he often learns those pieces is by entering the score into Finale (or whatever), listening to the MIDI playback, and learning the polyrhythms by ear. He said this is fairly common practice for people who play this kind of stuff. It says something interesting about the limits of notation, I think.

Anyway here's two pieces:

Scelsi - Maknongan
    James Tenney - Beast (from "Postal Pieces")

Those two don't require superhuman technique, but they're not easy pieces either. The Tenney's unpublished but there seem to be a lot of copies floating around. If you can't find it I can scan and email it; unlike the Ferneyhough, it fits on one page.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

Double Bassist magazine always has some interesting music included and it's nearly always for solo DB and very contemporary! :)

It might be worth seeking out some back issues...?

Winter 2004 has 4 solo bass pieces by Eddie Gomez
    Spring 2002 has a piece by Valeri Ozeran
    Summer 2002 has piece inpsired by Ravel , written by Thierry Barbe

etc. etc.
  7. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Wow, Thanks so much guys. Glad to know that there is this much new music out there for the bass. I'll be talking to my teacher about it in the next few weeks to see what he thinks.

The bummer is that I don't want to start shedding any of this music yet because my jury is at the end of april, but I'm sure that asking questions about a recital in the future wont be a bad think.

Again guys, thanks so much.
  8. Mingus Fingus

Mingus Fingus

The David Anderson 4 short pieces are cool contemporary pieces. All 4 are great, but you can pair them in any way and they make a nice performance.
  9. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Hey there Jazzbassnerd, glad to see someone else loves Theraps! It is such an awesome piece, I play it as often as possible without rearanging my muscles!

There is a great piece for bass and electronics called 'FOLIA' by Kaija Saariaho for bass and live electronics.

http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2432&State_2907=2&workId_2907=11102

There is a piece by Barry Guy called 'Statements II' which uses amplification controlled by a volume pedal. Its a very effective piece, I played it in a recital last year, once you get used to the notation its fine.

http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2432&State_2907=2&workId_2907=12698

On the more melodic side there is PSY by Berio, you may also want to check out some of Stefano Scodanibbio's works. A contemporary classical bassist and prolific composer.
    http://www.stefanoscodanibbio.com/

Theres also 'Valentine' by Jacob Druckman, which is very famous and well known. (I think that Joelle Leandre has recorded it).

Well thats a few, I have a passion for contemorary material and have played quite a lot so if you want to know of any more works dont hesitate to PM me and I will help you in any way I can! :) Where do you study, and who with if I may ask?.
    Best Wishes
    Ash
  10. dannbass

dannbass

Hey Jazzbassnerd!
    Here is a list of pieces for bass solo that might interest you to look.

Antonio Bibalo - Invenzione Evolutiva

Hans Fryba - Arabesken

The well-known Kadenza by Teppo Hauta-aho

Tom Johnson - Failing

Tomas Marco - Reloj Interno

Ennio Morricone - Studio

Emil Tabakov - Motivy

Frank Proto has some interesting stuff

Hans Wener Henze - S.Biago - 9 Agosto Ore 1207

Giacinto Scelsi - C'est bien la nuit, Le Reveil Profond

Jean Francaix - Theme variè

BTW the Hindemith and Tubin are not for bass solo...

Hope it helps!!
  11. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Wow guys, thanks so much guys. I'm glad that I started this thread now, just for the shear resource that it has become. I've heard a lot of interesting stuff and couldn't find it published, but here is a lot of stuff that is published that i haven't heard. That's exciting.

Ashley-
    I go to Eastman and study with James VanDemark right now. I'm actually a jazz major, but the first two years here we study classically. I have been trying to decided whether to double major is classical and jazz or not (it adds 6 credits a semester junior and senior year, which makes my stay about 140 some credits). I've been getting more involved with the contemporary classical scene at the school for the past month or so and actually have a concert tonight which I'm excited for. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks so much everyone. There's a wealth of stuff here.
  12. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Ashley-

I forgot another question. For the piece with electronics, do I need to have Max/MSP on my Mac? That's a really expensive program (I wish I had it though). I was a little confused by the requirements section of the site. Thanks!
  13. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

DO you mean the work by Barry Guy or by Saariaho? Ive got the scores for both of these at home. When I get home I will check and let you know the electronic requirements. Its with optional electronics and I have performed it as such but I have been meaning to get around performing it as it was originally intended. However, I just remembered that I discussed the electronic programmes with an expert and the programmes are no longer available. There are however, equally good (probably better) programmes available so I will post the original requirements and it should not be too difficult to find subsitutes based on the original.
  14. evan_phi

evan_phi

Carlos Weiske - Dialogo

I played it last year for a recital that was judged by an international judge, and apparently it was worthy. haha.

Plus, all his music for bass is FREEEEEEE!

http://weiske.puntoclasico.com/CJWBARCHIVOS/music.htm

Dialogo is a fun piece, and there is a free MP3 on his website too.

Good luck!
  15. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

Transcribe one of Dave Hollands peices off his Emerald tears - that would blow people's minds
  16. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Actually, if you go to Dave's website

http://daveholland.com/

and go to the LoJack Music section (his publishing company), you can buy the music. There are several tunes from the Emerald Tears CD there.

Jim
  17. Anon2962

Anon2962

Hi. I just HAVE to reccommend the Finnish composer Teppo Hauta-Aho's 'Kadenza'. I played this piece last year as part of a recital. It is the best contemporary solo piece for bass that I have come across. Playing time about 5 mins. WHAT A PIECE OF MUSIC. It has been used as a required first round piece for the ISB double bass cometetions.

You've GOT to check it out!

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/096341/details.html
  18. dannbass

dannbass

I believe somebody already post this website, but I can't remember where... anyway they have a list of pieces at the end, and they are quite interesting.
    The site is in french, but that's not a problem! I guess... http://www.metronimo.com/fr/contrebasse/48.html
  19. Pablo212

Pablo212

20. doberman

doberman

the Berio sequenza is an amazing bass piece.