Soloing on bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tnakagawa, Feb 25, 2014.

1. tnakagawa

tnakagawa

I'm in a situation where I'm soon going to need to solo as a bassist. In the song Say it Ain't So by Weezer (Indie rock), my band wants me to take the solo instead of the guitarist. Theyre not forcing me to do it, I think it would be fun, its just I've never had to solo on bass and I don't know really where to start, as the only bass solo's i've ever heard have been funk or metal. Any tips/suggestions would be a huge help. (I play guitar as well and know some things about lead playing, scales, harmony etc)

2. avvie

avvie

1-don't lose the groove. Eschew runs and pauses that break the groove.
    2- It doesn't have to be flashy or impressive. Just move around the melody and make it musical...as if the bass were a singer.

3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes to singing the tune under your breath, as you play your solo, that will help make your efforts sound like it fits with the song. You have several ways of doing this. For example:

1) Play the tune - verse or chorus. Start your lead with the tune, then mess around, improvise with the key's scale notes in the middle and then give the lead back playing the tune.

2) Play notes of the key's pentatonic scale. Better still, change the pentatonic as the chords change. Helps to mix the notes up, gather your lick from those notes...

3) Play the active chord's arpeggio and follow the chord progression - like # 2, but, this time using the arpeggio instead of the pentatonic scale.

Best is to just play the tune for 24 to 36 measures. Good luck with that.....let us know how it went.

4. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

Well if you never had solos before than, the first approach to do, is keeping in mind the main groove and than extend it with some fills.
    Try to get some ideas from the song melodies and experiment by small steps.
    Judge with your ears and personal taste, after all you have to express your emotions, remember if this is a new music experience, it always better play with your feel than just use licks you don't know how to manage.
    If you need need more help and suggestions just let me know.
    Cheers.

www.enricogaletta.com
    on youtube
    on twitter
    study with me

5. Register to disable this ad