Soloing

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by iwearpumas, Oct 6, 2012.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

What is the trick to soloing? I don't know how to do it? Would it help to listen to other basses soloing to give me ideas?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

There's no trick to it, that's for sure. It's having something to say and knowing how to say it.

-aw

3. cire113

cire113

hey iwearpumas,

a lot of your questions will be answered from transcribing lots of music/players your enjoy in my opinion..

but if you search though anthony's forum he discusses this topic rather deep many times

cheers

4. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

The answer is kind of in the original question.

"Should I listen to some bass solos?" Yeah.

But deeper than that,

Have you not listened to many bass solos?

Why not?

If not, then why do you want to do it?

"Having something to say" is right! I think it takes a mature person to figure this out, regardless of age. Where I'm at, 95% of the stuff I play kind of sounds like stuff other people have said or stuff that is obviously the result of the constraints of the instrument, its geometry, and my technique/vocabulary. 5% is pretty cool and you might not get it anywhere else. I think this is a consideration for someone that wants to get out of the bedroom w/ their soloing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

I realize that I don't listen to bass solos. I really need to start. Time to update my iTunes catalog.

7. mjl422

mjl422

Listen to solos in general, not just bass solos. You can learn different things from different instruments.

For instance: You'll find that a sax player uses space differently than a guitar player because a sax player has to stop playing in order to breathe. They also have to choose their notes wisely because they are playing one note at a time.

Learn what you can from everything that you listen to.

8. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Perfect advice mjl422.