1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Soloing

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jmjbassplayer, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

At that Bass Player Live thing last weekend, I walked by some booth with three dudes soloing, all at the same time. Just completely walking all over each other, all doing the gnarliest "bass face". No one laying down a groove, and a small audience around them just totally stoked.

Then at one point in another room, two celeb players trying to out-do each other, slapping in the key of E with the world's glassiest, jarring, un-groovy tone.

I won't name names.

What am I missing? It felt like a nightmarish parody of a parody. How are people still down with this stuff? Is this still the norm after all these years?

J

2. Mykk

Mykk

Just a sign if the times. Groove & soul have lacking in majority of new music. Don't worry, it'll get better in time and we'll be able to communicate with strangers through music again soon. This sentiment brought to you by a bottle if wine. -Mykk

3. James Judson

James Judson

Perfect bass solo = 3 seconds.

Only your mom wants to hear more.

Bass solo is a real good way to clear the dance floor.

I could be wrong and around here I usually am.

4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I'm glad you didn't walk by me. Then again, I can't solo...and the bass faces are usually indicative of gas. :bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

I give props to technically advanced players. BUT. 99% of audiences will be annoyed if a solo goes longer than a couple of seconds. Problem is… bass starts soloing, bottom falls out, and groove disappears. Drunks in bar/club get confused and annoyed.

7. jmjbassplayer

OK this thread is beyond hilarious.

Dudes we've been through this before....I'm not a solo hater by trade, but that was just ridiculous. Cliche. Tragic.

But seriously, those replies above? Astounding LOLZ over here. Too many hours in the studio today with guitars and cymbals shredding my face off, so this is the perfect antidote.

8. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Sounds like some bass players need bass players. :D

My soloing consists of the same bass line but the guitarist drops out.

9. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I have no interest in that type of stuff. Sounds like Guitar Center.

10. vegas532

Ok, ok...even though I don't normally slap, it's beyond hilarious to see a guy with a flipper slap!

11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Well, there is soloing and then there is Trade Show Soloing......beware! There is a difference. ;)

12. vegas532

Lately, I do a solo rendition of Stairway because it pisses people off. :D

13. jmjbassplayer

Oh truth. But seriously: that shiz was WACK, and it was performed by dudes who should know better!

I should have ripped of my shirt and did a "soy bomb". Or did a Jarvis Cocker during that UK TV Michael Jackson thing. Or...or...or....

14. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Lol! Yep.

15. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I almost went to BP Live this year, but had better things to do - seems like I had the same attitude about it the last couple years...maybe I'll go - then I don't go. I'm cracking up on this - glad I didn't go - yeah, sounds like GC or NAMM - clickity clack is all you hear - cats trying to out-slap each other. I've been going to NAMM Anaheim since around 1985 - I used to go 3 or 4 days....I'm down to 1 or 2 days now - that's all I can stand, so BP Live is not a priority at all.

16. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Next gig I'm doing one minute feedback/noise solo inspired by this thread. Or is that re-thread?

I may, MAY, throw a scale in there.

17. vegas532

Casady bass + Sansamp GT-2 set to stun + standing in front of SVT cab = solo!! ;)

18. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Beyond funny guys!! Ha ha ha.

19. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Yeah, I don't get it personally. There's nothing more satisfying to me as a bassist then locking in with my drummer and throwing down a groove.

Maybe I'm "old-fashioned".

20. vegas532

This is the exact reason why I "duck out" so much at these shows. I spent a considerable amount of time at Gibson, who REALLY stepped up to the plate this year, which was across from Carvin. Carvin seemed to have "the non-stop 2/3/4 bassist slap jam" all weekend long. :rolleyes:

21. kozmikyak

kozmikyak

The few times I take a bass solo at my gigs, they _don't_ go into the upper range of the instrument, and continue the groove quite well.

It sounds like what you mean by "solo" is "highly over-technical display of prowess in the upper register ignoring any sense of taste".

Solos don't have to be like that. I see proof every time I play a show that even a 16-measure bass solo can keep people dancing, and even convince _more_ people to dance.

A "solo" can be just a more highly decorated version of the standard bass line of whatever song you're playing.