(solved) empress multidrive on 100mA pp2+ output?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DriesG, Jan 12, 2014.

1. DriesG

DriesG

Hey guys,

Is it safe to power the Empress Multidrive from outputs 1-4 of a Voodoo Lab pp2+? These outputs provide 100mA current. Multidrive specs say it needs approx. 110mA. Thanks!

2. eloann

eloann

I sold my band's guitar player a pedalboard equiped with a power supply with outputs rated for 150mA and they're not enough for his multidrive. So I'd say most likely no.

3. DriesG

DriesG

I posted this in the "show your pedalboard" forum, and it seems to be no problem... with a BASS! lol

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I e-mailed Dan from Empress about this very issue and here's what he said:

"The 110mA rating is it's maximum power consumption. It will vary depending on how you're using it... Also if you're using a VoodooLabs pedal power 2 plus, then you're ok to use the 100mA outputs because they actually output about 110mA... If you have another power supply, go ahead and try the Multidrive on the 100mA output. Most likely it will be fine. There's no danger of damaging the pedal by underpowering, so worst case would be to just move it back to a higher current output."

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DriesG

DriesG

Thanks for that, sir!

7. skiltrip

skiltrip

I found this thread while doing a search for the Multidrive's mA requirements. It seems the current revision of the Multidrive takes 180mA of power and requires output 5 or 6 (250mA outlets) on the Pedal Power 2 Plus to power it. I just emailed with Cody from Empress and he gave me this info. I thought the update would be good for clarity because I was confused when my Manual/Box said 180mA needed and this thread was saying 100mA.

8. Adamixoye

Hmm...I want even aware there was a revision. Any idea when it was or what is different?

9. skiltrip

skiltrip

Here's what Cody wrote...

"For powering it from the PP2+, you'll need to use either output 5 or 6. The original version of the Multidrive used less current and could be powered from outputs 1 to 4, but the new version uses relays and a micro processor to handle switching duties, so it needs the extra current."

10. Adamixoye

Ah, I don't know much about the electronics but that makes some sense. I asked Dan at Empress why the Heavy had such a high current requirement, and he told me something similar. I have an older Multidrive without the soft switches, but my Heavy has the soft switches (LIKE VELVET UNDER MY FEET). I didn't know for certain that they updated the switches on the Multidrive, but I'm not surprised, and it makes some sense that it's connected to the current requirement.

11. skiltrip

skiltrip

I had wondered about the soft switches when I first got the Multidrive. That sort of fully clears things up for me too. I love the soft switches too. How do you like the Heavy? Ultra heavy tones usually aren't my thing but I love this Multidrive a lot, so I'm curious about their other Dirt box offerings.

12. Adamixoye