Some advice about buying gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

The more basses I play, the more I realize that the quality (read as: price) of the instrument isn't as big a factor as the style of it. You start to realize that there's some factors of a bass that you like more than others that suit your playing style, and are better for YOU. For example, I like basses with thin necks because I rarely put my thumb over, and perfect balance is a must because my right arm floats over the body and my left hand can't hold it up. I also like basses that sound aggressive naturally so I have to less work, and have some weight to them so it stays perfectly put in hard slap. Now if I could find a $500 bass with all these features, I would probably be happier playing that than a $2000 bass that was the antithesis of my style. A lot of newcomers don't understand that, and haven't played long enough to comprehend that instruments aren't black and white tiers of quality, hence the fact that we have a couple "Best starting bass?" and a good old "Best bass for metal?" thread every week. So while shopping for gear, I would recommend laying out the little factors that suit YOUR style instead of jumping at whatever seems good based on only the sound you hear on Youtube. Look up the neck specs and weight too. Many times I was excited to go and try a bass only to find it was totally incompatible. So... have a nice day :)

2. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

My first bass was a beat up used MIM Precison that had been abused. When I started playing with my band a regular basis and it died on me for the second time (bad tone pot) I decided to get a new bass. I lined up all the basses in the store and picked the one I liked best. It was 50's classic Precision. Not the most expensive and not the cheapest either just the bass I preffered at the time. Now after playing with the band for over a year I really like the way an American Standard Jazz sounds and feels. Having a hard time pulling the trigger on this one. I know that as I grow as a bassist what I like might change. Does it ever stop? :help:

3. dangerouscello

dangerouscello I wore a suit under this Supporting Member

I think there is something important to what you are saying. I've been finding the same thing as I try more and more basses. As basses get more expensive, I find generally (with important exceptions) that they're better made, have higher quality components, can sound better, and last longer. They might look better too. But when it comes to string spacing, the kinds of sounds you get, neck dive, neck profile, etc., a cheap bass that fits is better than an expensive one that you don't like.

I guess it really works that way for anything. I have this awesome pair of Nike shoes with Puerto Rican flags on the side of it that my friend gave me. I want to wear them, but they're a half size too small and not that comfortable. They're probably going to Goodwill at some point.

4. That Sustain

That Sustain Banned

I'm not sure I get the point of this thread. My advice??? Always buy used basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joedog

Joedog

Not quite sure what you are saying. Many times I "thought" I knew what bass I was looking for, and after a demo was not happy. I don't go into music stores all that often, but if I am seeking a new bass, I'll try most anything (same if/and shopping used). I've been totally surprised more than once. What's wrong with "playing the field"? In my dating days, it was all good... blondes, redheads, whatever! Kind of fun if you ask me! Why set limits before you even play brand X. Yeah I agree, don't buy a bass based on a youtube clip....duh. In you're defense, maybe a lot of newbies fall into that trap. But maybe they also don't know what neck specs, weight, etc they "prefer". The best advice (as stated here MANY times) is to play every bass you can (sort of like dating...LOL). Sooner or later, you just might fall in love! At least for a while......