Some advice: Gallien Krueger vs. Baer

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by willsellout, Jan 19, 2013.

1. willsellout

willsellout

So I've narrowed it down to these two brands (mostly). I looked at the fEARful stuff and don't really think they are what I'm looking for, although the Dually is still in contention, and I've spoken to JHawk customs about it.

About me: I'm a rock bassist and won't ever be doing anything else but rock/funk type stuff. I like a rock tone with lots of mids and a punchy low end so the Baer seems like a good choice....but so does the GK Neo 112's and 212's.

I play a Mesa Mpulse 600 and a GK 800RB, but the Mesa might not be around forever. So the GK cabs are cheap enough that I can use the full range 400 watts of the 800RB (maybe a 212 and a 112 on top, or 3 112's for ultimate flexibility) and be plenty loud.

The reason I mention loud is because I play in a LOUD rock band. I know the Baer will be able to keep up without issue. I think with 2 or 3 112's or a 212/112 setup will be able to compete just as well.

So I'm at an impasse. The Baer is a few hundred more than any GK configuration I'm considering. I'm curious to get a little info and see if that price is justified for me. I'm open to advice or ideas. I've done a ton of research and reading on here but I'm thinking some outside perspective might help.

So what do you think?
  2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Curious about the answer myself. I really dig my NV610, but the idea of a lighter alternative sounds intriguing.

My sonic needs sound very, very similar to yours.
  4. chuck3

chuck3

the Baer ML 212? That's the one I'm looking at.
  5. Mulebagger

Mulebagger Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, DR Strings, GK
    I'm using an Aguilar GS412 and it covers the range but really spanks for rock/ funk. The GS412 is way lighter and a nicer footprint than my Mesa Powerhouse 6x10 was. It also seems to push a lot more sound than the 6x10 did.

Of course, I'm pairing it with my DB750 so power isn't an issue.
  6. chuck3

chuck3

lol - hey mb.

so even though I like playing rig-less, I can't completely get away from bass cabs. These Baers seem pretty hot. :bassist:
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Curious about this matchup too. I have a GK 112 that sounds big for a 112. I've been using it with a moderately loud 8 piece wedding band and it keeps up. Not sure I'd be comfortable doing this with other 112's I've owned (epifani, EA). I'd like to hear how the GK stacks up against some of the 'super 12's' out there now. If they truly are in another class than the GK they must sound huge!
  8. Mulebagger

Disclosures:
    Hey C3 :D

It's hard to play rigless all the time. You need that thunder behind you.

I'm looking forward to trying some Baer cabs soon. The GKs have always left me a bit flat. I feel like they are loud but lacking in depth some how. In the end, as long as they perform and don't die on a gig, cabs are cabs. But its great motivation when you really like the sound you are getting.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

This is a good question for Tom B!
  10. willsellout

willsellout

Yup, ML212 is the one I have my eye on. It's a beautiful looking cab and it's top notch. Times are tough, however, so price is unfortunately a factor.
  11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I think the Baer ML112s would be well worth the investment. Or one of the ML212s. A noticeable step up from the GK Neo 112-IIs - and simply made to rock! :bassist:

MM
  12. B String

B String Supporting Member

One Baer ML112 would give you a good amount more than one GK 112. The Baer ML212 would crush the GK 212.
    The ML112 is similar to my Epi UL310 but with just a bit less volume but more mids. I believe the tone would be more complex with the ML112. The six inch speaker has great dispersion and spanks with a pick.
  13. cureyfreri

cureyfreri

I really dig my NV610, but the idea of a lighter alternative sounds intriguing. [​IMG][​IMG]
  14. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

I'm with Marko on this one. If your band is that loud, I'm not sure that either option will work.

On the one hand, a G-K 3*Neo112/800RB stack would sound pretty good, but with only 150 watts per driver on the bottom (and the top cab loafing at 1/3 capacity), it won't play stupid loud.

Ditto for the Baer ML 212. Definitely a step up in tone, but it's a high-power/medium-efficiency cab. Sure, it can play about as loud as a maxed-out 6*10, but not with only 300 SS watts.

For what you're doing, I think the Baer demands something like a 1001RB-II/MB800, a 900-watt Genz, or an Ampeg SVT-7PRO. If you're going to get that loud with an 800RB, you'll need more cone area, like a pair of 8-ohm 2*12's, or even a pair of 4*10's...
  15. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

I've done this with the 800rb, but with a 212/112 for the bottom, and a 112 for the top. It was stupid loud. It was pretty loud using just a 212/112 as well.
  16. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

I guess it's all a matter of context.

I don't put up with that crap any more, but to me, stupid loud is when you have a jackhammer drummer and guitards that are letting their half-stacks rip: the kind of gig where a good 4*10 can't get it done.
  17. Mulebagger

Disclosures:
    So true on the ridiculously loud factor. I like having the volume, but fortunately I'm in a situation where dynamics are more important than raw volume. Most of the setups mentioned will damage hearing.
  18. willsellout

willsellout

I know these choices will work. My previous cab was a genz benz nx2 and it kept up fine. I just mention the loud thing for good measure:)
  19. willsellout

willsellout

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Dually... Or a custom 2x15 based on the johnk_10 style... Can get seriously loud and doesn't seem to need much HP to get that way. Reasonably easy build if you go custom as well.