some cabinet matching advice...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dukey donkey, Jan 28, 2013.

1. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

I'm currently playing through a Peavey 412 txf, and I'm wanting to add a cab... about to get a carvin b2000, so pushing another cab is no issue... I'm wanting to get a 4 ohm cab but not sure what kind I should get. I'm on a budget, and before you say it, I'm willing to get another 412 if I can happen across one... most likely they'll be scarce as usual, so what other combinations would work well?
  2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

What is the current Peavey 412 txf lacking? Tone problem or volume problem? I can not see the use for ANOTHER 412 unless you are playing large stages and MOST bar gigs are not going to require two 412's unless you are trying to bypass the PA system.
  3. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

both tone and volume...
  4. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

most of the smaller bar gigs we play only run kick and vocals through the PA... my guitarists are both playing full stacks...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gearhead17

If the tone and volume of the cab are not up to your standards, it's time for a new cab! Adding another large 412 cab is a HUGE waste and a major transportation hassle. Do you really want to drag two 412's to every show? If you add another cab to the Peavey 412 cab you are likely to find the new cab will be louder and/or sound better - not necessarily complement the sound of your 412. Mixing cabs is a gamble - it's a waste of money in most cases.

GK and Mesa both make a killer 412 is you want a big cab. However, I suggest going for two 8 ohm 410's - one for smaller stages and two for bigger stages. Grab your bass, your bass head and try out as many cabs as you can.
  7. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

problem lies therein... all of the music stores locally carry combos and rarely single cabs... I don't have the budget for a new 412 from anyone... lol... I'm shopping GC used for something... I was thinking maybe a good 4x10 on top might do what i want...
  8. Gearhead17

Ok, I just saw this. I suggest a Mesa or Ampeg 810. Two 410's minimum here. A used Ampeg 810e would probably do it.
  9. Gearhead17

What is your budget? If you buy from GC in the used section, you can set it up for a store pickup and POSSIBLY save on shipping. Not sure if they do that anymore.
  10. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

I've just never been 100% happy with the 8x10 sound...
  11. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

nearest GC is like 2 hours away lol...
    I'd rather pay shipping than gas.. its cheaper
  12. Gearhead17

810's have a "massive" sound quality to them and I have always been happier with two cabs because of that.
  13. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

I'm happy with the way my 412 sounds, TBH, but I could use more volume and girth...