1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Some help needed for Boss Pedals to put in an order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sinplayer, Jan 4, 2014.

1. sinplayer

sinplayer

Hello everyone,

Since I have been using only a SansAmp clone with my SVT-3 PRO, I'm a little uninformed about Boss pedals. I'm thinking about to buy GEB-7, ODB-3, LMB-3 and CEB-3. Maybe I put an NS-2 to the end. Can someone suggest me an order for those 4 pedals?

Thanks in advance!

2. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

The "typical" order would be compressor->EQ->drive->chorus...though you could put them in whatever order gave you the sound you like best.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Best thing is to experiment around a bit. But why all Boss?

4. sinplayer

sinplayer

Thanks for your reply. where the amp should be take place? in the first place or last?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sinplayer

sinplayer

Yes, I'm gonna try some combinations. why boss? Actually I was between MXR M80, SansAmp and this Boss setup. I found those Boss pedals for low prices (low for Turkey. here in Turkey everything is very expensive indeed). Also I've watched some videos about these pedals, and it seems they will give me the sound I want.

7. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Amp would go after the chorus.

I've had all four of those (at the same time, even), and didn't find a noise suppressor to be needed. If expense is an issue, I would see how you do with those four before buying the NS-2...unless you know that your setup and environment will require it.

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Absolutely.

I'd give this a try too:

BASS > GEB-7 > LMB-3 > ODB3 > CEB-3 > SansAmp clone > AMP

Is the NS-2 absolutely necessary ?

9. icecycle66

icecycle66

My preferred order is
    GEB-7
    ODB-3
    CEB-3
    LMB-3

However, I would (as I do) often switch the ODB and CEB order.

10. sinplayer

sinplayer

Ok then, thanks again for your help. I'll put them in use and check to see if I need NS-2. But I think I won't need.

11. sinplayer

sinplayer

Thanks for this order, I'm gonna try this. SansAmp clone is Behringer indeed, and its drive is really fuzzy, that's why I can't use its drive. why did you put it into this order?

About NS-2. I don't think it's necessary but in case of hum or other noise because of using drive, it maybe needed.

12. sinplayer

sinplayer

well, it seems eq must be the first pedal after the quitar. thanks for your reply.

13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I never use my SansAmp's drive either, it is more of a toneshaper for me. I have this order (see sig for my chain) to use my SansAmp`s DI connexion. I have no experience with Behringer unit, although I read a lot of good about it on this forum. As for the NS-2, I had one for the same reasons you mention. I felt it was more a tone sucker than anything else, so I sold it and got better cables and connectors instead.

14. sinplayer

sinplayer

Well I thought same about Behringer, you're right, I may keep using it as a DI and also tone shaper. If you say so about NS-2, then I won't buy one :)

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I was told the recommend order of a signal chain is as follows

Bass > Compressors - Wahs (this includes Phasers) - Dirt - Modulation - Volume - Time > Amp

Really though there is no set order, every combination will react differently, the only thing I would remember is volume before time. This can be read on the BOSS site about pedal order, I have not read it though.

Spend your dollars on an ISP decimator, the BOSS NS-2, it is a total tone sucker and I highly recommend avoiding it. The ISP on the other hand is a top shelf gate.

Gates shouldn't be used to get rid of hum, shield your bass, internal fixes for internal problems. If you want to play tight chugga-chugga-chugga metal like Pantera or post-hardcore you will need the gate, I do not know what your end goals are.

Hope that helps.

16. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    OK, I get that.

RE: NS-2, some pedals are noisier than others, but I would hold off until you decide you really have a need for a noise suppressor. There was a time I used one because I had noisy pedals even when off, but after I got rid of the noisy ones, I no longer needed it and don't use one. So I'd hold off till you decide you really need it, otherwise it's spending money unnecessarily.

18. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Excess noise can be prevented with good cables and a power source that has shielded outputs, among other things. Maybe that can be your answer.

Best of luck, keep us posted

:)

19. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

The real question is what pedals you think will be engaged at the same time. If one pedal is one and the rest are bypassed, then order doesn't matter. :p

If you ever think they'll all be on at the same time, I'd go ODB-3 -> GEB-7 -> CEB-3 -< LMB-3. The LMB-3 is a peak limiter, which usually goes right before your amp, unless you're worried about the signal levels going into your other pedals.

20. sinplayer

sinplayer

Thanks for your reply,

We are with my band into the modern metal sound like In Flames, Haunted, sometimes Trivium. My personal aim is to get a sound like in the song Ceremony by The Haunted or in the album Drawing Circles by Textures, if you know these you can get my aim :)

One more time I understood that I should keep away NS-2 from my setup :)

21. sinplayer

sinplayer

Oh yes that's a good question indeed :)

I will be mostly using all of them activated at the same time. CEB-3 may goes in and out time to time. I guess I have 4 combinations already :) I'm gonna try all one by one and keep all repliers informed in the end :)