Some "Nut to String Gauge" help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Acid_Alex, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Acid_Alex

Acid_Alex

Hey guys! So I'm buying a costumized bass from a designer, which he made from a P-bass neck, a Sterling's body, MM Seymon Duncan pup and some other goodies :bassist:

The thing is: he made the bass so that he could SOLELY play on C standard tuning (something about Queen of The Stone Age :eyebrow:), so he went to a luthier and got it setup for C...
    My question is: will I be able to play/tune it in/to E standard without damaging the bass, or will I have to go make a new nut and get a setup for the truss rod at a bass shop/luthier? :meh:

P.S: I don't know the gauge he has now, but he told me he used the 5 STRING watchamacallit: Bought a 5 sting pack, and threw away the G string (ahah). Will I still be able to use normal string gauges and play at E tuning?

Thanks in advance
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

you'll be fine.

put regular strings on it, tune it normal.

(this is assuming that it's not really just a fender neck stuck on a music man body, they don't really fit right, and the intonation would be way off.)
  3. Acid_Alex

Acid_Alex

But wouldn't the nut be way big for smaller strings? But thanks for your advice anyways :D

Nah I don't think he'd do that, he probably adjusted the body accordinglly :bag:
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

nut slots that are a little too wide are usually OK; it's when they're too narrow that you have problems.
  5. Acid_Alex

Acid_Alex

OH I get it now!
    thy so much :D