Some people are physically unable to enjoy music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by elgecko, Mar 7, 2014.

1. elgecko

elgecko

Approximately 5% apparently. That's actually kind of sad. :meh:

Strange But True: Music Doesn't Make Some People Happy

2. sound of bass

sound of bass

Thats very interesting...and sad, for those that dont get the whole music thing. I took the quiz and scored very high for music reward. Thank God im alive!
  3. elgecko

elgecko

I experience music in a very visceral, physical way. It literally gives me chills, rushes, and makes me look like I'm cringing. It stands to reason that someone on the opposite side of the spectrum would feel nothing...it's just hard to imagine.
  4. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

Yes, they're called "record executives" and "music critics."
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

LOL !
  7. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

That's truly sad. There've been times when music was the only thing that kept me going; it's kinda depressing in itself that there are people unable to ever experience that.
  8. Jaco D

Jaco D

So if they were at Gitmo and bombarded with Barry Manilow 24/7, nothing would come out of that?
  9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I don't think it's sad if someone doesn't enjoy music. I don't like golf and my life's ok.
  10. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

And supposedly these people have been tested and really do have other things that excite them.

So the next time the audience isn't responding to the music you're playing, it's not because you suck -- they must just all be wired to not enjoy it.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

But golf is a whole "thing". Music is one of the simplest pleasures in life. It's right up there with sunrises, birds chirping, and the laughter of children!
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Some are here on Talkbass judging from some of the conversations I've read! SMH!
  13. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

I've been in a few bands with people who fit that profile to a T.
  14. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

The study, at least in this summary, does not establish whether any such impairment is "physical", nor limited to music despite what the quotes say. Studies have to be designed with randomized elements in order to avoid confirmation bias that plagues a lot of them.

For example, the differences between music and a game where you can earn money are many. Maybe these people did not grow up with a lot of cultural input and would be similarly unresponsive to books or movies. Or maybe they just weren't exposed to much music and they could change over time by becoming more familiar with it (making it a matter of culture or personal background rather than "physical").
  15. Pajama_Bottoms

Pajama_Bottoms

I can see how they missed it, since music is only found on television and in movies and from the radio and on commercials and on phones and computers and tablets and Youtube videos and in waiting rooms and restaurants and in automobiles and taxis and passing cars and pedestrian's earbuds and schoolbus singalongs and in bars and nightclubs and at parties and group events and from children's toys and at theme parks and parades and major and minor holiday ceremonies and stores and at farmer's markets and in the street and church and belltowers and schools and from buskers and other people singing and humming and whistling and in museums and cafes and with the very birds that fill the air with song each and every morning
  16. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Come to think of it, I could do with a lot less of it myself. But people's lives are whatever they are. Not everybody is spending time at museums and cafes. And then there is a difference between exposure and quality exposure.

When I worked in a restaurant years go, one day a new guy, about 20 or 22, started as the salad man. So he was learning the ropes, and as the day went on I learned that until the time came that day to cut up some cantaloupe, he had never actually tasted any melon before in his life.
  17. powderfinger

powderfinger

That's really sad, IMO.

I can hear a partiuclar song that I was listening to 20 years ago that reminds me of an ex college gf, and all of a sudden, I can remember exactly how I felt about her.. times we had.. emotions I felt (both good and bad). I can hear another song, and it floods me with joy, as it may remind me of my parents playing their LPs for me as a kid. I can maybe hear another song that flood me with pain as I remember a lost friend. Music is so powerful in this way, I cant imagine life without it.

My dad though is this way. However, not always. As a kid he always listend to good music in the car (Motown, old 70s R n B). He had all the records. Played them at home. Hell, Motown reminds ME of my dad when I hear it now. But these days... he wont listen to music. In the car its either talk radio or silence. He says he doesnt enjoy listening to music. It's so hard to imagine. This is the same guy who would be hosting backyard cook outs as a kid, blasting The Beach Boys or The Temptations by the pool. Or blasting Peter Frampton in his camaro. I wonder if music brings back too many bad memories and he just doesnt listen anymore.
  18. bswag

bswag Not a Real Bass Player Supporting Member

I think there's a whole spectrum of such things; I once knew a woman who didn't get jokes. She simply wasn't capable of picking up on those things which make jokes work. Not some weird hangup, that's just how she'd always been.
    Probably there's people with perfectly good vision who don't "get" visual art, either.
    Personally, I don't get sports, never did. Physical activity? Fine. Sports? Yawn...
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I don't feel about music like I did in the past I still love it but as you grow older the meanings of songs change
  20. pnchad

pnchad

I've always loved all sorts of music and have been playing bass for 46 yrs now

I just asked a old HS buddy who plays guitard "do you think differently about music than you used to?" and he agreed

I was always a snob about quality and complexity - I still appreciate those attributes but now I can emotionally appreciate simple honest beauty as well - like classic country too

21. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I don't feel sad for them ... I don't get any feeling went I'm infront of a painting, or infront of dancer or whatever art form. Music interest me but there is something that never felt that right to me and the more I study music and participate here, the more I feel music is joke in end.

I also raise a lot of skepticism toward people saying they love all kin of music. Tome that sounds like people who doesn't have any emotional respond from music ... jack of all trade but master of none ...