1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Some String Problems...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sonicfan7895, Dec 2, 2013.

1. sonicfan7895

sonicfan7895

Hi everyone! First post here.

I have a couple of basses that have some string problems.

The first one is a 2012 Fender Starcaster Reissue in black. When I replaced the stock strings with a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt 50-105's, it played perfectly, and I had no problems with them. Recently however, the A string broke on it, and I had to replace the entire set. I decided to downscale from 50's to 45's and after setting all of the strings down and playing them, they were getting annoying buzz on E A D, and up to the 2nd fret. I tried adjusting the truss rod, but that did no good whatsoever.

My other bass is a 2002 Danelectro Rumor Bass in black. I had this bass taken to a lutherie after the nut chipped and started to come loose. When the lutherie was finished, I tried it out, and there was no buzz in the shop. However, after playing it a lot more, there was a buzz that started to gradually build the more I played it.

Both this Danelectro and the Fender have D'Addario Nickel-wounds in 45-100 gauge.

My last bass is a recently purchased Dean Edge 1 5-String bass in black. I'm thinking about changing them to DR Black Beauties in 45-125, but I'm afraid it'll end up as the exact same chapter as the Fender.

So with all this in question, are nuts cut for a specific size of string, or is it the strings themselves? Thank you all so much for helping.
  2. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

My guess, assuming that the truss rod works and that you adjusted in properly, is that the slots in the nut might be too big for the strings you downsized to. Try putting a bit of paper under one of the offending strings in the nut, to raise it just a bit. Does that help? If so, that would point to the nut. Re. the strings, if you liked the feel of the larger gauge and the bass seemed okay with it, I might just go back to that. Otherwise, it's not big thing for a luthier to raise the slots of a nut slightly.

Maybe the weather's changed and the neck moved. Happens. And some bridges don't hold action adjustment very well (or need the help of a little Locticte). Check those factors.

Nuts are cut for a specific size of string, but you usually have some leeway as to what you can effectively use before things start to rattle around if the nut is cut well. I've gone up and down a couple of gauges on my Japanese Fender with no issues related to the nut.
  3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

If relief and action are set to the usual values, the buzzing may be due to your playing style. :meh: Maybe you need some time to get used to the lighter strings. I had something similar. As a long time fat flatwound player, I tend to slam thin roundwounds against the fretboard. :smug:
  4. sonicfan7895

sonicfan7895

One of my classmates put the paper underneath the nut, and while it worked (and call me out for OCD), I hate that a lot. I just want to be able to put new strings on and move on with my day.

Being that it is wintertime, it could be the neck. Being that this bass' body is made of plastic, I could see it not holding up too well on the body, but it holds up like a charm. We were considering using Loctite on my Dean for the knobs, but then we thought of double-nutting them.

Okay, now that I know it might very well be the nut on the Fender and Dean.

My playing style is somewhat reminiscent of Geddy Lee's or Geezer Butler's; I like to pluck the strings really hard and my left hand just slams down on the strings. Problem is though, this has happened for all my strings, on the Dean, Fender and Danelectro. Maybe I should try and not slam my fingers down on the strings... Thanks for your help guys! :bassist:
  5. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I would narrow it down to truss rod ,nut, saddle height or fret height.