1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Someone talk me out of gettting a Genz Benz 212t NX2 !!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ncognito, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Ncognito

Ncognito

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Help! GAS is after me. I've used Eden 410XLT's since 1995. About 2,000 gigs give or take. I'm not getting any younger and saving 50 pounds for every load-in would be great. Both cabs are about the same footprint, so that's a moot point. I like the new tolex version and it's lighter too. Anybody been down this road and willing to give me their insight and experience good or bad??

I've got gigs this weekend, so I'm gonna pull the trigger tomorrow to have it here by Friday. C'mon gang talk some sense into me and convince me to NOT do it.

Thanks in advance!!!
  2. iualum

iualum

215 w/Eminence 3015s or Faital Pro 15PR400s from www.LowDownSound.com .

Smallish (~35" tall, ~20" wide, ~15" deep) & lightweight (~55 lbs.).

Will eviscerate the GB for less bucks.

But I think you really just want people to say, "get the GB."
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, if you have your mind made up to get the GB Neo212, go for it.
    Have you plaed one, and know you like it?

Nice enough cab and will surely save you ~that 50lbs over the old Eden.

If it were me, I'd spend more time researching the -huge- lineup of lighter options; there's many, many choices in that arena now.
  4. smogg

smogg

Go for it, great cab. Keep in mind it will be more "forward" than your Eden. You will need to spend a few minutes re-EQing your amp. After over a decade with the original rat fur 212T I can't see going back to a 410 cab. IMO/IME. The only other cab on my radar other than the NX2 is a Fatail loaded Dually. Have fun.
  5. Ncognito

Ncognito

Disclosures:
    I haven't tried the GB 212t although I have owned probably 20 or more cabinets trying to out-do the Eden 410XLT. Fearfuls, nearfuls, Barefaced, Bergantino...etc, etc, etc...

No chance of a single driver cab doing it for me. Gotta have 2 of something in it. Suggestions Chef?? I won't consider something larger in footprint than the Eden though. Kinda defeats the purpose somewhat.
  6. rpsands

rpsands

Have to agree with Iualum, except that I'd recommend starting with one 1x15. It'll be close to as loud as an NX212 by itself, either with the 15PR400 or the 3015 (More power handling and sensitivity with the 3015).

* If you haven't heard one of the super 15 singles (3015 / 15pR400) you need to do so before making up your mind. It's pretty incredible how much sound comes out of those woofers.
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

I own both a LDS 3 way Kappa 3012 LF cabinet and a 212t. The GB is equally as good of a cabinet, is immediately available vs Don's 5-6 (read 7-8) week wait, and has outstanding customer service and warranty. The price between the two will be within $100.

IMHO, the 212t is one of the best commercial cab on the market. It can handle almost any gig, even when PA support isn't provided. I wouldn't talk anyone out of it.
  8. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

In addition to the GB 212T-NX2 that you are considering, you might also consider the GB Uber 212T. I have a stacked pair of Uber 212 cabs, and they are thunderous! (one is plenty.....I only have two for outdoor gigs with no PA support for the bass). The Uber 212 weighs 63 pounds, so it's more than the 47 pound NX2, however I'm sure that the Uber weighs alot less than the Eden 410 XLT as I used to have one of those about ten years ago and I recall it being rather heavy.

I have never played through a GB NX2 cab, but based on what I have read here on TB, the NX2 cabs are a bit more "middier" than the Uber series. So it depends on what flavor of tone you desire. All I know is, the Uber 212 doesn't leave me wanting.

Enjoy the cab hunting! It's fun! :bassist:
  9. iualum

iualum

Don't doubt that the GB is among best available commercial cabs. And sure the LDS 3-way w/3012LF is truly wonderful. Really do. Then again, even it gets stomped by the 215.

The only downside is the lack of immediate satisfaction. But good things do come to those who wait.
  10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Have you ever owned or played the GB? I'm always curious when someone uses such dramatic language to compare cabinets if they've ever actually used both..........
  11. rpsands

rpsands

I've heard the NX212 and a 15PR400 Dually in person and the difference in quality and sensitivity is pretty noticeable.

The NX212 is a fine cabinet but it's just not got the same lows or the same sensitivity. It's much smaller, but not much lighter, maybe 10lbs.

It's definitely just about tradeoffs though...you can't fairly compare cabinets when one is 30% smaller and 10-20% lighter.
  12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Agreed in part. The OP will have to decide what best fits his needs. No need to build a 215 if a 212 more that fits his needs. If the 212 can handle his requirements, then the reduction in weight and size becomes an important consideration.

Difference in quality? Nah. The GB gear is top notch.
  13. rpsands

rpsands

Now, what is a fair comparison is a single 15 vs. the Nx212. Pretty sure it'll meet the OPs needs in a smaller package. It's really ridiculous how much sound comes out of a 15PR400. :)
  14. Chef

Disclosures:
    "Suggestions Chef??"

The first thing to do, IMO, is play one or two variants of "super-cab" and rule that in, or, out, for you. The LF-loaded stuff can be High in SPL, and Low in Poundage...but, if your ear doesn't like, or, doesn't adjust to the difference in flavor, then none of that does any good for you.

I've tried many different flavors of those, and for the most part, "they're not my color."

So, once you have that part figured out, it makes decisions like GB Neo212T vs GK Neo212II either relevant to you, or, not.
  15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

At 8 ohms for the average single 15 execution, you're leaving a lot of wattage on the table with a 4 ohm amp.

My 2012 loaded 212 is significantly louder than my 3015 loaded 115, when running with the same head. My Neox212t is louder than the 115 in the same situation.
  16. Chef

Disclosures:
    Pretty sure the OP said he wasn't interested in single driver solutions......
  17. Ncognito

Ncognito

Disclosures:
    I had a fearful 12/6/1 and a fearful 15/6/1. Liked the clarity and attack of the 12. Not really at all with the 15. The 12/6/1 just couldn't get me the volume I needed. The 15/6/1 was loud enough, but I didn't like it's sound. In both cases the 3 way design didn't really agree with my ear, and even less with a 15.
  18. Chef

Disclosures:
    Understood.
    Then you're on the right track looking at the GB cabs you're looking at.

Personally, I prefer the taller form factor of 2x112.
    You might think consider the GK Neo line, and the Baer ML112/212.

The Baer are loaded with 3012HO variants, and therefore can be capable of higher SPL than cabs using kappalite variants. The mid driver goes plenty high, even for slapping and such, but "presents differently than a horn," and deals with OD/grit/grind in a more pleasaant way than many horn loaded cabs, if that's relevant to you.
  19. rpsands

rpsands

The OP needs to hear some of the high end 15 single drivers, but just this man's opinion :)
  20. rpsands

rpsands

The 15PR400 comes in 4 ohms and sounds amazing.

* that said, watts @ 8 ohms are cheaper than people think these days. The 900 watt genz heads, or the 800-1200 watt Markbass heads, or the Orange BT500h, or the GK MB800 will all push 8 ohm 15s to their limits easily.