1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Someone tell if this would work...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pglaser01, Nov 22, 2013.

1. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    Hey,

So for my birthday my wife bought me a pair of wireless earbuds to connect to my iphone since I'm always complaining about the cord pulling my buds out when running. I had a thought that since they run wireless through bluetooth up to 50 feet away from the phone...I could use these (somewhat) as in ears to free up spae on the small stages we play on.

I would hopefully run my iphone headphone input with a 1/4 adapter into the auxillary out of our board and hopefully i can get a signal into the headphones.

Only question though, would the signal from the board fry my phone??? Any help if this is a good idea or dumb is appreciated. I understand they're not true in ears, but I don't have the dough for real ones and figured why not try it out..

Thanks!!!!

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

The delay/latency, whatever You want to call it will drive You nuts.

Results some pretty interesting playing that's for sure though.

Regards
    Sam

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman

I used a wireless earphone rig back in the 80's and 90's. Being the cheapskate that I was, I found a cheap Recoton/Jensen wireless headphone set, with the receiver being a small, pagerlike pack to which I plugged ear buds into.

The range was not great, so results with the transmitter at the board was poor. One day, I patched the headphone out into an unused send on the snake, and put the transmitter on stage, by my bass rig. Success. Not bad for a cheap $69 unit. I still have it.

My point is that you never know if it will work, unless you try it.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Good way to go deaf. It's likely loud enough you need earplugs first and monitors second. That's what IEM do.

I have heard of diy custom moulding with cannibalised ear bud elements but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

You'll have to try it.
    Keep at it and practice with it a while. Don't just hear the latency and reject it.
    You can train your brain to deal with latency. People worry too much about it.

7. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    Ran into a problem I can't figure out...I don't know how to set it up or find an app that would allow me to run an audio signal into my phone for bluetooth...darn, it sounded so easy....

8. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Unless they seal inside your ears they wouldn't work all that well as IEM's.

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Precisely. The temptation would be to max the volume to get over the drums etc, blowing your hearing in days.

10. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

I posted this query a few years ago, got a bluetooth setup to try - still have it somewhere... works but not useable, bluetooth latency is nowhere close to a few ms, but it was something like 1 to 2 seconds or seemed like it to me. Try it if you must I'd like to know if it is at a workable level these days but i think the technology of bluetooth implementation itself is limited. You hear of gamers complaining all the time as reflexes and audio are not in sync but at levels of interfering delay.

11. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

A little negative delay can take care of that latency.

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You'll find neg delay units next to the auto tempo correctors and wrong note replacers.

13. TimmyP

TimmyP

I believe you need an Apple camera kit to get audio into the iDevice.

14. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

:confused:

Please explain "negative delay"

Get back in time ?

15. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

He was joking.

I hope...

Regards
    Sam

16. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Most delays don't go below 0 (i.e. negative) for the delay time. If you can find one that does, you've really got something!