Something "boomy"

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by punisher911, Nov 20, 2012.

1. punisher911

punisher911

I'm currently running a TerrorBass 500 into two Acoustic 4x10mkIIs. I've noticed a serious lack of bottom end. It cuts through ok seeing as we only have one guitar player and we play standard tuning radio friendly rock. However, it seems to lack some booty. Even if I boost the lows, there is just never the table shaking bass that I feel should be there.

So basically, I need some cabinet suggestions.
    HELP ME.. I don't want to just keep buying cabs until I'm happy. Somebody has have to have a good suggestion or two.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There have been a lot of rave reviews of that head paired with a fEARful 15/6.
  3. dincz

dincz

Are you sure the two cabs are in phase?
  4. carldogs

carldogs

+1 I would check for that first, is there a better bass response with one cab disconected and do they sound equal when you try them one at a time, if one of the cabs is sounding thin there could be drivers out of phase in that one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg 410hlf or 610hlf, or one or two of the Portaflex cabs. The 410hlf, especially, has a buttload of low end.
  7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Acme B4. Clear bass all the way down. Capable of massive boom.
  8. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

^ Yes, very boomy (aka muddy). Might be the ticket.
  9. punisher911

punisher911

what does out of phase mean? I do recall just the one cab by itself not being very low. The second I added a few weeks later just to up the volume. I'm now thinking I should have just went with a different cab instead and taking the original 4x10 back. When I first got it, I wasn't overly concerned with tone as it was a rushed time limit to get something that would work for the upcoming 1st gig. But now I have time to figure out what I want.

I was wondering about the 410HLF. If it's "too boomy" can I dial out some bass to bring it up to a more usable liking? The HLF, a GK 4x10, and Mesa PH4x10 I think are the only three locally that I can actually try.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes you can dial out some lows if needed on the 410hlf.
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think the Acoustic cabs you are using are probably lacking and just about any popular cab in the next price bracket up will get you there.

Ampeg SVT 4x10HE, Mesa (anything) would be my choices if you are a rock player. Shop your used markets.

The trouble with the "boomy" cabs people are starting to suggest is they also tend to be voiced in such a way that will reduce your cut.

I am a 5-string guy and have had capable lows on every cab I've owned.
  12. 5port

5port

1) Before you buy new cabs try using those two 4X10s side by side on the floor.

2) I played a gig this summer where the other bassplayer was using a Terror Bass 500 into an Ampeg Classic 1X15 and Ampeg Classic 2X10. Huge bottom end from his G&L bass. Sounded sweet.
  13. happyg

happyg

How about the Orange 115?
  14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Out of phase means the speakers aren't always moving in unison, one can be lagging behind, or going in totally the opposite direction. Avoiding the problem is why you shouldn't mix up different cabs. Trick is to get a cab you like the sound of, and add more the same 'til loud enough.
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Be sure it's lows that you really want.

Bass knobs on amps at 40hz are pretty much worthless for boosting anything most cabs can do anything with. Yes, they're shelving and will spill over into the next octave up, but try boosting around 80-150 to get fat sound and good vibrations.

Probably need an external eq to do that, but might be a good idea, at least temporarily, to track down just what it is you want.

If, it turns out, you want that breath-taking, vision-blurring bass, from BFM, that takes a minimum of 110db in the 50-70hz bandwidth at the listening position to achieve that.

If that is the case, a fearful just might be in your future.
  16. punisher911

punisher911

Thanks guys. I guess the next step is plug into different set ups and figure it out. I will try the HLF and a Mesa PH4x10. If I can't what I'm looking for out of those, maybe a Fearful is going to be in the works.
  17. bearhart74

bearhart74

+1 on the Acme reccomendation
  18. Foz

Foz

19. punisher911

punisher911

I ended up trying the HLF, an Acoustic 1x15, and a GK NEO 4x10. The HLF was as boomy as advertised. The Acoustic 1x15 sounded just as my Acoustic 4x10s do. The GK NEO sounded very similar to the HLF, but at a lot less weight and 100 cheaper. I'm kind of liking the GK so far. All tests were done with my Warwick 5 $$ Corvette and a TerrorBass 500.
    Maybe I can find something different around here in the next few days.