1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Something New Every Day

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by f.c.geil, Jan 26, 2013.

1. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

I just had to rebuild my tone circuit, so I bought the parts from Elderly Instruments. While I was there, I spoke with the tech, and he pointed out to me that most of the wiring diagrams for Fender basses on the 'net are actually incorrect, specifically including all the Seymour Duncan diagrams. While these diagrams will give you a working circuit, they are not completely right, and won't allow the circuit to work as intended by Leo. These circuits will overly boost the bass when the tone is rolled off.

For a tighter, more controlled bass, use the correct diagram. The correct diagram can be found at Fender Support.

The main difference is in the wiring of the capacitor, so take note of that. Also, be sure to use the correct wires, as heavier wires will give a noticeably brighter tone. Of course, if that's what you want, then use heavier wires. This can be augmented by using 500k pots rather than 250k.

So, I guess what I learned is that the commercial isn't correct: it turns out that they can, indeed, put something on the internet that isn't true.

2. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Can one of the techy-types can explain this to me?

3. f.c.geil

Easily. Heavier gauge wires offer less resistance. It's the same as with your instrument cable or speaker cable. A longer run necessitates a heavier gauge to retain the top end. In a run the same length, heavier wire/cable equals more brightness/top end.

4. jbrew73

jbrew73

Could you point out the differences between the fender and Seymour Duncan wiring? I have looked at both for p and j basses and they appear identical. Maybe I'm missing the obvious?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. f.c.geil

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think this only happens if you are running over 25 ft of cable? the unbalanced signal degrades but I don't think it is significant and the tone difference would be subtle.

8. jbrew73

jbrew73

9. f.c.geil

It happens in any length of run. Whether you can hear the difference depends on other factors, but it is there.