1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Something that's puzzled me for a while...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So when speaking of Vocal ranges, what would be defined as a 3 octave range versus a 4 octave range? Would having 4 'A's be a 4 octave range, or a 3 octave range, since it spans only 3 octaves? ([A2-A3], [A3-A4], [A4-A5]). I'd think the second way makes more sense, but I've also read that a 3 octave range is average for the male voice, which seems a bit large by that second definition.

Anyone know for sure?
  2. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

You would only have to be able to sing 3 A's: From A-G in three octaves. You may be able to hit the next A, but unless you can complete that octave (up to G), it wouldn't count as 4 octaves.

There's no way 3 octaves is average for the male voice. Professional male singers would probably average 2 octaves at best (not including falsetto). I don't think the average woman would have a 3 octave range either.
  3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Think of a fence. 4 posts, but only 3 gaps.
  4. Ezmar

Ezmar

See, that's my question, is that how it's counted? For example, if I can go from G2 to B5, is that a 3 octave range? And what's the difference if a singer has range extremes, but not necessarily every note in between?

Without this knowledge, I can't be properly conceited about my voice! :rollno:
  5. St Drogo

St Drogo

:D
  6. megafiddle

megafiddle

Imagine a one octave range, for example A2 to A3.

It wouldn't make sense for a one octave range to be a single note.
    Therefore, one octave, A to A.
    Two octaves, A to A to A, etc.
  7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    A 2 octave range is what is common for the average singer. 2 1/2 octaves for a trained voice, 3 Octaves is considered to be a very prized range and beyond 3 octaves is icing on the cake for professional voices.

3 octaves means you can cover 3 consecutive keyboard octaves from your lowest to your highest whole vocal tone (non falsetto)
  8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    While we're talking about vocals...

Dies anybody know what the opposite of falsetto is called? By that I mean there's a technique I use sometime to get super low notes (like Oak Ridge Boys low), sort of feels like I'm cutting off my vocal cords in a similar way to falsetto. Just wondering if there's a term for that.