1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Something to replace my Hartke AK410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eyoyo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Hi, I'm a French bassist.
    I have been playing Fender passive P and Jazz basses with an Aguilar TH500 head coupled to a Hartke AK410.

I recently bought a second hand Ampev SVP-CL preamp because I like the sound of my Ampeg pratice combo (BA-108) and some other Ampeg gears I've tried. I think I like Ampeg tone when it is good.

I think my basses and amplifier parts are very good but the cab lacks of something. It's hard to explain but I think it is not so agressive, it's a bit cotton, carton, felt, paper. I would like something better and more growly if I could. The low mid growl that we all like on jazz basses for example.

I am considering buying one of these cabs:
    -SVT 410HE very close to my AK410 maybe ?
    -SVT 410HLF, lack of mids boomy and heavy
    -SVT 212AV, promising but nobody knows it and could be expensive for a "chinese" cab. I tend to prefer this choice!
    -Aguilar DB212 or DB410 but I would have to add 400$
    -Used SVT412HE that is available not so far from here but it's soooo heavy

Thank you for helping a French bassist to chose a better cab than his AK410

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Have a look at Greenboys designs. A 15/6 or a pair of 12/6 might do what you want. It is fun to build them yourself :)
    Hear in europe, older Trace Elliot 4x10 (those 1048) are quite cheap in the second hand market. Have a look at them, too. friend of mine plays one and it sounds great. FIIW, it's a heavy schlepp

3. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Thank you vbchaos,
    I can't find any greenboys designs reseller in France and I don't know at all about how this could sound like.
    I am not a huge fan of 1048 Trace elliot and hell these are very heavy 410s

4. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    www.greenboy.us - better known for his fEARful / FEARless cabinets

since you are in europe, you can have also have a look at bearfaced from the UK

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

I didn't know about barefaced but they are quite expensive too and almost impossible to sell later if I want something else.
    In France we have Chillbass too if I want somthing less industrial.

7. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

SVT-212AV ordered! We'll see!