1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Something to replace my Hartke AK410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eyoyo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Hi, I'm a French bassist.
    I have been playing Fender passive P and Jazz basses with an Aguilar TH500 head coupled to a Hartke AK410.

I recently bought a second hand Ampev SVP-CL preamp because I like the sound of my Ampeg pratice combo (BA-108) and some other Ampeg gears I've tried. I think I like Ampeg tone when it is good.

I think my basses and amplifier parts are very good but the cab lacks of something. It's hard to explain but I think it is not so agressive, it's a bit cotton, carton, felt, paper. I would like something better and more growly if I could. The low mid growl that we all like on jazz basses for example.

I am considering buying one of these cabs:
    -SVT 410HE very close to my AK410 maybe ?
    -SVT 410HLF, lack of mids boomy and heavy
    -SVT 212AV, promising but nobody knows it and could be expensive for a "chinese" cab. I tend to prefer this choice!
    -Aguilar DB212 or DB410 but I would have to add 400$
    -Used SVT412HE that is available not so far from here but it's soooo heavy

Thank you for helping a French bassist to chose a better cab than his AK410
  2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Have a look at Greenboys designs. A 15/6 or a pair of 12/6 might do what you want. It is fun to build them yourself :)
    Hear in europe, older Trace Elliot 4x10 (those 1048) are quite cheap in the second hand market. Have a look at them, too. friend of mine plays one and it sounds great. FIIW, it's a heavy schlepp
  3. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Thank you vbchaos,
    I can't find any greenboys designs reseller in France and I don't know at all about how this could sound like.
    I am not a huge fan of 1048 Trace elliot and hell these are very heavy 410s
  4. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    www.greenboy.us - better known for his fEARful / FEARless cabinets

since you are in europe, you can have also have a look at bearfaced from the UK
  5. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

I didn't know about barefaced but they are quite expensive too and almost impossible to sell later if I want something else.
    In France we have Chillbass too if I want somthing less industrial.
  6. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

SVT-212AV ordered! We'll see!