Sometimes flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassdog, Jan 1, 2013.

1. bassdog

bassdog

re just the ticket. I have been using TIs on and off for about 15 years now. Recently bought a 2011 Am. Jazz Standard but she wears nickel rounds pretty much all the time. My other bass is my parts PJ. I had taken off the TIs around the same time I bought the J thinking I needed my other elec. bass to be a go to backup for the same gigs and music styles I use the J for.

Well, the PJ with the rounds just never quite did it for me; so the other night I went out to get some ghs flats but couldn'd find them. Came home and dug out an old (maybe 10 years) set of TIs, frayed silk and all, and strung the PJ with them. Now that's what I've been missing with rounds on this bass. I have not been able to put this bass down for 2 solid days of practicing and rehearsals. Love the feel and tone. Punchy and burpy too with the bridge pup up. The bass plays like butter with them. Smooth, even sounds, Deep and thumpy but good sustain with the Gotah bridge. Playing it on my gig today doing lots of old school soul, r&b and rock 'n roll. Just saying. The J may just stay home today. Happy New Year. Bob

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

I like the flexibility and edge of (nickel) rounds, but always end up going back toward flats.

Main basses MIJ-P, TI Flats, L-2000-DaD Half rounds, L-1000-Pyramid Gold Flats.