1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sometimes Talkbass Is Your Enemy

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Angel Switch, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

This just occurred to me, looking back on it. So I put up a poll several months back asking people what they thought of the appearance of a certain bass. I took a poll and had three options:
    1. It's a fugly bass.
    2. It's amazing and I want it.
    3. It's so-so.

After waiting several days for people to vote and for the general consensus to have its say in my decision on whether or not to buy the bass, I checked the results and was dumbfounded. Exactly a quarter of the people who voted chose that it was an unattractive piece of kit. Another quarter said it was stunning. So that leaves the entire other half saying it was so-so. It was a complete and utter disappointment that did me absolutely no good. The half of the group that had an opinion was split perfectly in the middle on what they thought. Everyone else was in the gray. Thanks, Talkbass, for another not-so-successful endeavor at getting my piers opinions.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Why would you base your decisions on what unknown people on the 'net thinks?

Sometimes you are your own enemy. ;)

3. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I wasn't planning on basing it *completely* on what they thought. I knew I liked the bass, and that I was probably gonna get it, but we all crave to be popular ;) XD

4. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

You just reported the results, therefore, you definitely had feedback. Shouldn't you just paraphrase the last question to read - thanks, talkbass, for another not-so-successful endeavor at getting the majority of opinions I was looking for?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

You forgot carrots. Most of us like 'em sometimes.

7. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I suppose so. How about this: I got feedback, but I did not get a general public's opinion like I hoped to.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe you should have had fewer options in the poll - just one maybe, the answer you wanted. ;)

9. antonspon

antonspon

Um, it kinda looks to me that you DID get an opinion, which was that to most people the bass was so-so. Sorry it wasn't the one you wanted! :)

10. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

I'll bet you get the same sort of response for any bass.

11. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Dear God, if you had put up a poll about precision bass vs jazz bass....you'd get a LOT more feedback with that, believe you me.

12. Ironbar

Ironbar

I'm just curious why you were asking complete strangers about a bass YOU were going to potentially play? Don't you have enough confidence in yourself to make that decision? I mean, I could understand if you were asking opinions about function. But asking opinions on whether it looked good? WTH?? It's your bass- WGAF what anyone else thinks about its looks!!

13. ZenG

ZenG

Well....you put up three questions about the appearance and you received input as per those three questions....

Maybe those were the wrong questions to ask..??

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

piers have no opinions ...

Buy the bass you like not the bass that I like.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Your poll actually had four options

You weren't deciding. You clearly stated that you'd "already ordered it".

"Exactly a quarter" is 25% and none of the results were 25%. Of those who loved or hated it, the majority (26% vs 21%) thought it was "gorgeous (or bad-ass, or whatever. Basically, I like it.)".

16. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Leaving the carrot option out made the results inaccurate no matter what they were. Those of us with a strong opinion were so dismayed be the poll being "carrot-less", we decided not to participate.

I almost never vote for carrots, but fully support the right of carrot loving bassists to be able to vote for carrots.

17. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

You also had a poll "How Important is Appearance? " where the vast majority said I don't care what people think as long as I like it, that pretty sums it up for every bass player I know..To me it only matters what I think about the bass I play.

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

When it comes to basses, I pick one up and noodle. If I like what I feel I'll plug it in and see if I like what I hear. If I like what I hear I'll look it over real good so I can nitpick it when it comes time to talk money.

Can't recall ever asking anyone else what they thought about one when looking at a bass.

19. kcole4001

kcole4001

To me, appearance means just as much as playability and tone, and I don't give a darn about other's opinions, because I know what I like and that's what I buy, whether it pleases or annoys people.
    It's my money, and it's my time I will be spending playing that bass, so why worry about the opinions of someone else?

You have to make yourself happy, no one else will do it for you.

20. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

What you got was the typical bell curve! Most people are middle of the road with their opinions.

21. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    The results seem legit to me.

What did you expect?