1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sometimes ya just gotta walk away

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Greetings,

I've been working on finishing a headless fretless Beatle bass build.

I've had more problem with this build than I have with all my previous builds combined.

My problems started when I cut the body out, and the figures in the wood the seller said were "Bird-eyes" were actually knots. One big one can be seen in this pick along the side towards the bottom. There were actually a number of knots that turned real nasty when I reduced the overall thickness. I sucked it up and moved on.
    [​IMG]

(This is me effing up bad) While I was shaping the neck, I had a pencil mark indicating where the heal starts. Unfortunately, I had 2 pencil marks on the board. I went to the the wrong one, and cut the heal too short. So to make up, I cut the back of the body and rounded it of. It turned out GodAwfulUgly
    [​IMG]

I then thought, I have all the parts, The wood is very expensive. I'll just follow thru and finish it. So last weekend I put the final coats of wax on. I put the body on the edge of my workbench, as I always did. But the coefficient of friction was alot less, and the accidental gentle nudge I gave it made it slide off the table and onto the floor. The top had to be resurfaced, and a big dent was put into one of the wings. The pic is after the repair.
    [​IMG]

So I once again sucked it up and made the repairs. Got it looking good again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But as I went to work on it today to put the final coats of wax down, I noticed that the grain started to crack.
    [​IMG].

Ya know, sometimes the bastard wins, and ya just gotta walk away
  2. squirefan

squirefan

Looks like it was going to be a beauty! My condolences!

I actually think your repair on the neck pocket looks kind of cool.

Also, as I was reading through, I was thinking Steinberger-ize it, but that split is just in the wrong place.
  3. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Damn man that sucks. I can't tell you how much pretty stuff I have thrown on the burn pile. :mad: :spit:
  4. ddtkills

ddtkills

this is such a shame. that is one beautiful piece of wood.
    I would save it and use the wood for knobs, pickup covers, or electronic cavity covers.
  5. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Good bass for metal. Throw a neck and a low-B string on it, then smash it at the end of your next gig.

Scratch that... good bass for PUNK.
  6. Beej

Beej

That's not a deal-breaking split from my perspective - it's not going to cleave the body in two. I'd personally work on hiding that crack in the finish and just wrapping it up and rocking it. You may find that 20 years down the road, its nothing worse for wear. Its begging to be finished after all the blood, sweat and tears... :)
  7. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Yeah, more tears than blood and sweat. Between the neck and the body, I got about 50 hours into it.

Your view on the crack is somewhat correct. Yes I can put this together, and functionally it will work. The crack does not go into the center of the guitar, so yes the connection between the bridge, body, and neck are still sound.

I'll have to be very careful because the crack is the lower portion where the controls are. The output jack was going to go about an inch down from the crack. If I don't re-enforce it somehow, I could see this section getting yanked off if someone were stepping on my cord as I was walking away. Yes, this is remote

My post last nite was really more out of frustration, than actually giving up. I really didn't want to invest more engineering into this.

I'll probably just put an L bracket in the inside of the control cavity, and call it a day.

OK, so I'll probably assemble this soon, but it won't be the beauty I had hoped for.

Thanks for your support.