Somewhat-pointless question-- "C"-holes on an upright bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by calypsocoral302, Aug 17, 2013.

1. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

Purely for the sake of curiosity, I am interested in knowing if anyone knows of any upright basses made, likely Baroque, that had "C"-shaped soundholes.

I do know of several examples of upright basses that sport the "flamboyant" F-holes like those typically found on a Viola di Amore during this period (I think Pollman makes one, IIRC), but haven't found any with the "C"-shaped soundholes that were pretty typical for Gamba-family instruments at that time.

Edit: For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is a picture of a Bass Viola da Gamba (approximately the physical size and tonal range of a Cello) from luthier Wesley Brandt:
    [​IMG]
    Image courtesy of Wesley Brandt, Viol Maker
  2. benharrisfan

benharrisfan

Almost all the baroque violones you'll come across will have f-holes. One example of c-holes on a violone in G I can think of is by Stainer, but I'm not sure about others (some Busch violones have a half and half c/f-hole combination). Christian Laborie made a baroque double bass with c-holes, but I assume it's not based on any historical model.
  3. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
  4. webelo

webelo

I feel like I remember something from high school physics telling me it was because of standing waves/resonance. I could totally be wrong.

Give a read here on some F-hole trivia.
  5. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

Interesting article. But it was mostly about the length and width of the holes, not their shape.

Still an interesting read, though!