Song Structure Help from Guitar World (Smashing Pumpkins)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Feb 8, 2013.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I just got the February issue of Guitar World and it has the guitar and bass tab to 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins. I’m looking at the tab and would like to write it out on my own so it’s easier to follow. For example, my first question below notes something that is played twice, but with a fill the second time. I’d like to write it out both ways so it’s easier to just follow it so I have it all in front of me instead of flipping back and forth. My questions relate more to the layout of the tab and the actual song structure itself so I decided to post in this forum. Any help is much appreciated!

1979 LINK

1) Below bar 21 (and into bar 22) there is a note to substitute bass fill 1 for the second time. Is that bass fill to be played in bar 21 or 22 the second time this is played?

2) What do the “1.” And “2.” in brackets above bars 23 and 24 mean? Play bar 22 during the first verse and substitute bar 23 for the second verse?

3) In bar 40, there is a note that guitar 3 plays the first 4 bars of rhythm figure 1 three times (12 total bars). Below, there is a note that the bass plays Bass. Fig. 1 three times (see bar 24). This is only one bar, so the bass only plays 3 bars but the guitar plays 12? OK..I just noticed the note to end the bass fig. 1, which is four bars so x3 = 12.

4) For the ending, bars 50-54 are played 4 times with the bass only in the 3rd and 4th time. After that, bars 54 and 55 are played one and then back to the third chorus. After the third chorus, the song resumes with bar 56 which is just one bar of B notes and that’s it for the bass. Am I correct there?

5) There is a note in the blank space below bar 29 and above bar 33 that says "2nd time, sip ahead to I". Which bar is that referring to?
  2. phmike

phmike

3. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Thanks. That definitely helps. I made some changes above, but added another question. Thanks again for the help.
  4. phmike

phmike

There is a "I" above bar 56 - otherwise I don't know.
  5. Register to disable this ad