Songs for Arranging

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Dave Irwin, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin Supporting Member

OK, no specfically a bass question but maybe you'll know...
    Can composers submit tunes for Berklee arranging classes for arranging assignments.
    Seems like a good way for independents to get their songs arranged and standards have enough arrangements already :)
  2. Snarf

Snarf

In a word, no. In more words: The arranging curriculum is taught to a book, and anything above that (Contemporary Writing or Jazz Comp majors) will be specific types of assignments, or Berklee dudes collaborating. No professor is going to even open your email, let alone any attachments, let alone forward any of your material to their students.
  3. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

While the arranging students may be following a curriculum, and it indeed may be difficult to get an "outside, non standard" tune arranged… Many professors do indeed open emails and attachments from outside and we click on links. I know that the Bass Department does… as I/we get submissions all the time.

If I were to offer any advice to the OP it would be to… Be careful sending out original compositions that you think are really great. If you do, make sure they are copyrighted, and that you (ideally) have a recording of them as well. SB