1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Songs for looping?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Volpe25, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Volpe25

Volpe25

Im not sure if this is in the right section or if its been covered already (I tried searching but couldn't find what Im looking for) but Im trying to find songs to arrange for a loop pedal.

Im looking for songs that are recognisable but aren't massively overdone. In my search it was a lot of the same songs cropping up eg U2's "With or without you". So I was wondering does anyone here know any songs that are good for covering with a looper that aren't massively overdone? For example the other day I heard a great version of songs like Paramore's "The Only Exception", Massive Attacks "Teardrop", and Jessie J's "Pricetag".

Im open to any genre and really just looking to improve on my arranging skills and to broaden my horizons as it were :p

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

As no one has jumped on this....... Define looper. If you mean end with the dominant fifth and let that draw you into the tonic chord that probably started the song - thus looping back to the beginning. i.e. last four bars of the 12 bar blues progression. Be my guest. If you are talking of a stomp box or something like that, well that is another story.... Define looper perhaps others will know what you are talking about.

3. lucam

lucam

I'd contribute with Yesterday, the incredible Wooten just showed the world that is possible to perform it beautifully with a one-track loop pedal :)
    I'm definitely in love with this version!

4. Volpe25

Volpe25

Im not sure what you mean (Sorry my music theory knowledge is insanely poor) But by looper I mean a loop pedal. Specifically a Boss RC-30 (if that helps you out a bit :p)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Volpe25

Volpe25

Of course! I have that on my ipod! Im a bit of an idiot for not thinking of yesterday sooner :p

7. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't know if it's one of the ones that's mentioned a million times, but Radiohead's "Creep" works for that. You can play the bass line, loop it, then play the melody over that.

8. Volpe25

Volpe25

I never saw it and didn't think of it but thanks thats a great suggestion :D

9. Rev J

Rev J

If you go to Bassline Publishing's website there is a book of tunes arranged for solo bass. Due to copyright issues it is unavailable in the US. But if you Register they have "Free Bonus Material" that includes a partial transcription of "Space Dye Vest" by Dream Theater, "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica, and "Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow. As best as I can recall the Sheryl Crow tune is a looped arrangement.

C/S,
    Rev J

10. Volpe25

Volpe25

Awesome thanks, I downloaded the Nothing Else Matters one a couple months ago so I'll check out the Sheryl Crow one tomorrow :hyper:

11. lucam

lucam

What about Not Too Late by Norah Jones? That one should be really looper friendly!

12. lucam

lucam

...and if you want to do something special, give a try to this Oregon's masterpiece ;)

13. Rev J

Rev J

For more inspiration check out the column "New School" on notreble.com. They mostly focus on solo bassists with unusual approaches including use of loopers.

C/S,
    Rev J