Songs where you can barely hear bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

Here is one of my favorites but you just can barely hear bass:

Any others?

2. Precision101

Precision101

Oasis. I can't hear any bass in their songs. Like ever. But I love them either way.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Seriously? I love Oasis and Guigsy lines (or Noel's) are pretty noticeable to me.

I heard some old Metallica on the radio the other night, I want to say it was master of puppets. There was literally no audible bass on it.

4. Precision101

Precision101

Some songs they don't have any low. I know songs were the bass is standing out right in your face but over Noel's guitar it's really hard to hear sometimes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Ronald Isley's Dinner and a Movie.

Strange sound to the (synth) bass. Hard for me to tell the pitch.

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Most bands run by egotistical guitarists who want a bassist to know his place, staying way back in the mix, the stage and only purpose is to double the guitar parts to add a foundation to their playing. Mixed wayyyy low on any recording.

Dream theater comes to mind. The stooges with mike watt LP comes to mind as well.

8. scoopscallahan

scoopscallahan

Metallica - the entire Justice for All album is completely devoid of bass.

9. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

Ugh, a depressing topic (no offense to the OP -- just brings to mind depressing people to play with/situations to play in!). Don't have a song to add, but will say that mixing the bass too low actually distracts me from the guitar part(s). If I'm straining to hear the bass, which I usually find interesting, I'm paying less attention to the guitar (or other "melody" instrument), and am more likely to input what I do hear of the guitar as an annoyance than be favorably impressed by it.

If I can hear each voice clearly and in balance ith the others, I'm more likely to enjoy each part individually and the composition as a whole. I'll dig your part more if I can appreciate it relative to all the other parts (assuming what you're doing relates to the other parts) rather than in the vacuum of your own awesomeness.

10. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I remember hearing all about John Myung, then heading out to buy Metropolis Pt. 2. When I put it on, I was pretty disappointed; the bass parts were indistinguishable, except for the ballad track with fretless bass. Tried again with one of the newer albums - same deal. Eh.

Jason Newstead was mixed into oblivion when he first joined Metallica.

Lots of modern pop stuff. There's something in the low end, but it's hard to tell what.

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Everyone keeps talking about John Myung?

Like you I bought their Cd and where's the bass?

Is it like the emperors new clothes?

Or you get bands like SOAD where the bassist doesn't even play on the recordings. It's easier for the guitarist to make himself sound good on guitar by playing all the bass parts as well, it doubles the ego then you see. Oh yes the guitarist wants to sing to. He ruined SOAD with his enormous ego.

12. Skarpi

Skarpi

I agree!
    I've been a huge SOAD fan since I was a teenager. When I heard their first album I decided to buy an instrument and start playing. Today I'm still playing bass and I honestly don't think I will ever stop.
    But his ego has definitely ruined this band. I didn't mind his vocals on the first two albums. But I can barely listen to their newer albums (mesmerize & hypnotize) because half of the time he's singing instead of Serj.

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

14. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    It breaks my heart, but a lot of Jeff Ament's work on Ten got pushed to the back of the mix. You can still hear it, but you miss a lot of the nuances that he did. He did some beautiful fretless and harmonic work on Garden that's completely buried in the original mix.

15. eriky4003

eriky4003

I'm learning Finished What Ya Started by VH on OU812 and talk about indistinguishable. That recording's mix was a travesty.
    I've said it before, John Myung suffered under the production of Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci. I don't have their latest cd but aDToE's mix had John up where he belongs. He was quite distinguishable up until Scenes from a Memory.

16. Mineaiki

Mineaiki

I personally think it's partly Myung's tone as well, which I have never been a fan of.

17. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    +1. Loved what they did, hated where they went. Blame the guitarist.

As for bass being audible in music it's a plus but not a necessity. Slayer's bass playing was strictly ornamental, as is a good deal of the Melvin's work. Luckily they both have awesome enough drummers that the lack of bass doesn't leave the rhythm section feeling lacking.

18. the_hook

the_hook

I've played a lot of Rush and it really helps that you can hear Geddy's bass lines clearly. Then my band moved into some Dream Theater songs and I can't hear Myung's bass at all.

I learned Erotmania recently (using Guitar Pro) and did enjoy Myung's bass lines, so he does have some good stuff.

From interviews I've seen him in he doesn't strike me as a guy that will voice up about not hearing his bass, which is sad, it's a cool band and the bass should be right out there with the guitar.

Generally I dislike bands that have a great bass player with cool bass lines but you can't hear their work in a song. Maybe that's why I like the Trio format, everyone gets heard and everyone has a chance to step out and play some cool stuff.

19. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

I think some of you need to get a better stereo or maybe your ears checked, I can hear the bass perfectly well on any Dream Theater recording I've heard. His tones blend with the rest of the band a lot of the time, but he's always present.

20. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    While the bass is mixed a little(very little) low, the bass line is easy to hear and follow. Well balanced with the kick drum. Very nice flatwound tone with a clear attack. Bass carries the section after 2:12 beautifully.

Maybe your speakers are lacking?

21. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

A vast amount of Hard Rock/Metal in general. Some exceptions but overall there's no comparison to styles like Funk,Blues,Reggae,Rnb,Jazz, Soul, Rock and Roll, Latin, Afro Cuban,though.