1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Songs with melodic basslines?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Journey55, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Journey55

Journey55

Hey guys I was listening to some Streetlight Manifesto and was thinking how great the bass is in like all of their songs...do you guys know of any other bands with similar bass?
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Unfamiliar with Streetlight Manifesto, but Boston's Peace of Mind has a melodic bass running all over it
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

"Tempest Fugit", "Roundabout" by Yes
    "Come Together" by the Beatles

Just examples, but Chris Squire's and Paul McCartney's basslines tend to be pretty melodic.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

5. Richland123

Richland123

Here are a few good ones I thought of quickly

The Spiral Starecase - More Today Than Yesterday

6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

7. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91

A lot of early Green Day is melodic, particularly Dookie. Sassafras Roots would be the best example, along with Longview. Some later stuff is quite melodic too, such as Minority.
  8. butchblack

butchblack Supporting Member

Coyote from Joni Mitchell's shadow and light is a good example as is Zep's Ramble on
  9. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Way too many to list. Try Money by pink floyd
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Most post punk stuff

Bauhaus (She's in Parties is a good example)
    Altered images (Happy birthday is a good example)
    The cure (almost anything between 1979 and 1989 especially. Listen to Standing on the beach maybe, their 1979-1985 singles compilation)
    Most anything by Joy Division and New order
  11. Spectrum

Spectrum

Beyond the Fields We Know by Dead Meadow

Lots of Rush and other prog rock.
  12. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

I'm puzzled by this. I hadn't heard that band so I looked them up on youtube and I'd describe the music as an upbeat/frantic horn band. I don't get melodic out of that, and from the suggestions on here thus far, I think some others may be confused like I am.
    When I think of melodic bass lines I think of McCartney's "A Little Help From My Friends" or Orleans "Dance With Me". Very flowing melody lines. Or more uptempo would be Chic Corea's "Spain".

Not trying to criticize, just sayin' that maybe re-naming what you're looking for would get you more what you're looking for. :)
  13. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Behind Blue Eyes-Who
    Yours Is No Discrace/Yes
    Entre Nous-Rush
    Hello Goodbye-Beatles
    Go Your Own Way-Fleetwood Mac
    Just about everything on Zep 1
  14. JimK

JimK

I'm with you, PDGood. Most the tunes listed as examples of "melodic bass"...I'm not hearing it. Example: "Never Been In Love Before" from CHICAGO VIII is a nice example of Cetera' s melodicism (more so than "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is"…IMO).
  15. Journey55

Journey55

I see I mislabeled the type I was looking for, although it was a fruitful mistake cause there's some pretty sweet basslines here. I guess I meant like a busy-ish bassline, I'm not quite such what I'd use to describe it, if you look it up, like We Will Fall Together would be along the lines of it.
    Thanks for everyone's input so far, good suggestions nonetheless!
  16. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

We Used to Know - Jethro Tull
  17. rtav

rtav

Two of my favorite bass composers: Paul McCartney and John Deacon

Sir Paul - pretty much anything he ever did, but stuff like "All My Loving," "Silly Love Songs," "Come Together," "Don't Let Me Down," "Penny Lane," (I could go on for days) are exceptional. Of course, we would expect to hear great melodies from the greatest pop music writer of all time.

John Deacon - "Long Away," "Misfire," "The Millionaire Waltz," "You're My Best Friend," "In the Lap of the Gods (revisited)," "The Show Must Go On," "In Only Seven Days" - many, many more great melodic bass lines, some of the best out there.
  18. NightCat

NightCat

Great thread! I want to say thanks to everyone who put links in their reply's. I have a mountain of CAD work to do today and this will be my soundtrack.
    ~NC

>Sub'ed<
  19. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

Nice n sleazy by the Stranglers
    White room by Cream
    Stuck in the middle (mentioned previously)
    Crossroads by Cream
    The one I love by REM

Some I like to play with nice lines
  20. eriky4003

eriky4003

One of my favourites: All of You by Don Felder on the Heavy Metal soundtrack. I believe it was performed by Abraham Laboriel.