1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Songs you know too well

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ics1974, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ics1974

ics1974

I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing but I notice after playing the same songs for a long time I don't even notice what chord I am on because of muscle memory. My hands just memorize where to go. Is this a good or bad?
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

There are plenty of songs I can carry on a conversation while playing. I don't know if it's good or bad. It just is.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Good...until you need to play it in a different key.
  4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

It is good.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Very true. I'm pretty good at transposing, but if it's a song I have played a gagillion times, it's actually harder to break away from the habit of playing it in the key I have for years.
  6. LegoBass

LegoBass

I think this is the best thing you can achieve as a gigging musician. When you reach that point of comfort, you can really be you and shine on stage. Trying to play, sing, interact with the crowd, headbang, dance, whatever it is that you do on stage can just become way to much. I want to make things as entertaining as possible, but also simple on my part. Playing is the part that I feel can be easiest to memorize and kick out of the way, letting you do everything else much better. Of course, this is just my opinion.
  7. pinz

pinz

Its good.
    We pull lots of songs "out of the hat" so to speak,songs I may not have played in 12 months and the brain panic is immediate.
    But I have faith in the fingers more than the brain on these occasions and most often the fingers will beat the brain hands down.
    While the brain is trying to figure out the key and chords the fingers are already there as "they" , quote , "know the song too well".
    And thats got to be good.
  8. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I'm like that with My Girl. I forget what the chords are sometimes, when I need to tell someone. It's just internal I guess.
  9. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

When you start playing it left handed on a righty bass, or playing it with you right hand only, or just your thumb on it own, or you playing the notes and your guitarist plucking the strings .

you have played the song enough by that point lol
  10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

It's a good thing :) Nothing bad about it. Like mentioned earlier : If you have to play in a different key it can be tricky.
  11. Duckwater

Duckwater

I'm always trying to do something different, if I get too comfortable playing a song then I figure I'm ready to take a solo on it.
  12. obimark

obimark

To me that is the only way to get thru a 3 set gig. At least 60% of the songs I am not even thinking about my bass part other than where to throw in different fills.
    That is why I like to play my P-bass because I am totally used to the neck and don't need to look at it as much for the easy songs. I just know my hand is in A position or G or whatever.