1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Songs you love to play

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by iriegnome, Mar 28, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Just out of professional curiosity, are there songs that you absolutely love to play, but your band or the audience just hates the tune? In general I mean. I am sure there are many obscure tunes that we all love. But I want to pose the question - What song do you just love to play that your band or the audience just hates?

2. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I get a lot of pleasure playing Bill Withers' "Use Me" with the main melody bit on the bass...everyone agrees my part sounds great but nobody has ever come up with a suitable electric guitar part to lay over it (the acoustic comping Bill does doesn't translate)

3. pklima

pklima

Oh, the world's full of songs that I'd love to do but my bandmates won't let me. I don't really want to play stuff audiences hate, but songs musicians hate are pretty much all I ever want to play. Some exceptionally despicable ones that ran into a lot more opposition from bandmates:

"Hi Ladies" - Uka ft. Amraa - OK, so the lyrics are in Mongolian and that's pretty tough on singers who don't speak it, so I can sort of understand this one

"Like A Bunny" - Andreea Balan - it's not just about shaking it like a bunny, it's also about wolves in detention, but somehow those subjects just don't seem to appeal to musicians much, and singers suspect I only want to do this song because I think Andreea Balan is really hot

"Danca Do Remexe" - Dama Do Bling - actually managed to rehearse this one a couple of times but the guitarist really, REALLY didn't want to do it live which is too bad because it's not like I'll have a lot of other opportunities to work with female singers who speak Portuguese and can rap

"Rewind", "Waiting", "I Will Be The Same" and probably a few other songs with Emma Hewitt on vocals - nobody really hates these with an intense hatred, it's more like they just have zero interest in doing any of them, even people who are totally up for doing songs by the same producers that have Christina Novelli on vocals

"Liquorice" - Azealia Banks - a singer actually asked me to do this song, then we rehearsed it once and she stopped halfway through and refused to have anything with some of the lyrics in the second verse, which she apparently didn't pay much attention to before, especially the bit about how guys really appreciate the fact that she shaves her pubic hair

"Keep It Redneck" - the Lacs - good luck finding people who want to play this song in Europe, actually audiences might not care much for this one either

"Boys In Town" - the Divinyls - ended up recording this one in a totally electronic version with a death metal vocalist because nobody else would touch it, still have never done it live

4. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

My last cover band did that tune as well!:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

"Ball of confusion" and "Freeway Jam" Of the top of my pointed head.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

My old guitar player and I used to chug a beer onstage during the "I know I know I know I knows"...... It was epic!

8. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

Nowadays we try not to play any songs that we know the audience will hate. We do play plenty of songs that the band hates but the audience likes as that seems to work better than the other way around. There is also no shortage of songs that the band and the audience both like, but that I absolutely detest to the point where my soul shrivels up a little every time we play them.

In my previous band, I loved playing The Core and Story of My Life, but at least one guitarist hated them both. The audience loved 'em!