Songsterr: Here to stay?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Jawbone, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone

Before you reply with all the reasons it won't stay around give the inventors props. Pretty ingenious app running on the WWW. Quick, easy source for all kinds of tabs. Usually, about as accurate as the "go-to" tab sites so it's not any better or worst. But to me the number of users and songs that increases weekly and continues to grow exponentially is a sign of the times. Quicker, easier and immediate!

Plus they advertise on here once in awhile.
  2. DJS

DJS Supporting Member

Being heavily in "student mode" right now, it's a fantastic resource when I get stuck on a song.
  3. hesham8

hesham8

I think it is going to stay. Right now, I spend almost all of my time in class or studying for class (worth noting, 21 credit hours isn't difficult, but it's a lot). It takes me far too long to figure out a song by ear now, so songsterr is an awesome resource for me.
  4. melsean824

melsean824

I love this website. My biggest struggle is finding basslines for most of the Christian artists out there and I've found a few here. Most only have guitar chord charts to be found, and as a bassist I run off their chord charts and improv where appropriate. I wish I could find every song with the bassline, and I lucked out here with a Switchfoor song - This is Your Life. Very accurate.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slipkorn917

slipkorn917

I used it to help me learn "Love You to Death" by Type O negative,only bass tab I could find of the song on the internet
  7. MrMeacham

MrMeacham

It think the site is amazing but the monthly fee is very high.
  8. DownWithTheDown

DownWithTheDown

+1 on all the points above. I love Songsterr, although a lot of the tabs can be hit or miss on accuracy.

If you like Songsterr, you might want to try the Guitar Pro software. It is like Songsterr on roids. Ultimate Guitar and several other sites offer Guitar Pro tabs, which usually include all of the instruments. Can show tab or actual sheet music. Also has a fretboard which will literally show you where to fret.

Anyway, check it out. I have an old version but I beleive you can demo the new version. Check it out, this thing has helped me more than any other tool.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php
  9. Black Bart

Black Bart Have Towel – Will Travel Supporting Member

Must be doing okay, gobbled up the free bassmasta.net over this past week.
  10. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Must have happened over the weekend.
  11. Cap'n Video

Cap'n Video

Don't know if anybody is interested, but the guy who used to run bassmasta.net archived the site and made a torrent. It is available from several sites, and has all the tabs that were available when the site shut down. I downloaded it myself, and you can navigate it with your web browser just like when it was up on the web.
  12. Tupac

Tupac

I can't say I agree with Bassmasta's decision. He essentially sold out. Songsterr offered, and he paid. He claims it was because of the MPA making him worry, yet he was completely protected. Everyone has their price!

O_O

Where can I download this wonderful thing?
  13. Cap'n Video

Cap'n Video

I found it I think on Pirate Bay. You will need a torrent client like Bitorrent or the like to manage the download. The site comes to you as a .rar file, which you can unpack using your favorite archive manager program (Winzip, ICEOWS, or whatever you prefer).
  14. Tupac

Tupac

Is this it?

That seems a little tiny for the entire website... but I'm downloading anyway!
  15. Cap'n Video

Cap'n Video

That's it, but remember, that is only the torrent file. You need to open that file with a torrent client like Bitorrent. It will then proceed to download the actual website archive from multiple users. The archive file itself is close to 800MB compressed. It took me about an hour to download on a cable modem.
  16. Tupac

Tupac

Whenever I click on anything, it takes me too Songsterr. Does it still work for you? I feel like I did something wrong o_O

EDIT: It seems like clicking on some links takes you to Songsterr, and others don't. Like clicking on the forums or an alphabetical list of the tabs.
  17. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

Man! That sucks. Bassmasta was always my "go to" when I couldn't figure out a line.:crying:
  18. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

+1
  19. legend_bob

legend_bob

I really miss bassmasta.net. Couldn't someone take the archive and start a new one?
  20. domportera

domportera

I find a lot of songsterr bass tabs Re very inaccurate, so it annoys me to hell. I wish bassmasta would come back. Someone's working on rejuvenating a similar website this coming year though,
  21. Nomadskills

Nomadskills

+1 I was wondering what happend. I thought it was a glitch on my computer that was taking me to Songsterr all of the time. That's too bad. Guess I'm going to have to figure out what a bit torrent or whatever that thing is now...