Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 1, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Since I can't find an official thread on this beauty and so many people are raving about them on other forums.

[​IMG]

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

Now my views are I've owned a Korg DT-10, DTR-2, DTR2000, Boss TU-2, Planet Waves Tuner and the old blue Peterson strobo O Stomp and I haven't found anything better than the strobo stomp but at the same time it's big, jacks are flimsy even though I've not had a problem I do feel I'm waiting for it to break.

I've just got a rack tuner and again it has made me realise that I need something infront of me and all my pedals are so rugged except the museum piece Peterson so I was thinking of replacing it maybe gettin 2-3 of the Turbo Tuners (one handheld to have in a gig bag) but don't want to buy untested as I did that with the Planet Waves and it made all manor of wierd noises in my signal chain when muted.

So come on people, advice? comparisions? anything at all or is it just flavour of the month at the moment.

Also to make matters worse I tune ADCGF or DGCF so some tuners really don't do the job.

2. Toasted

Toasted

Honestly, you don't need 3 tuners.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    I want them all in a line and I'm only playing when all 3 show the same thing.

Nah 2 is what I'm after though would be nice to get one on my big board, so basically band board to replace peterson and then one in my gig bag for all other occasions, I think this is fair :p

You were excessive once to Mr Entwistle ;)

4. Coelho

Coelho

I have it. Used to have the strobostomp 2. I think the strobostomp is more accurate, But with this one I tune faster and it is not as fragile.

My guitar player used mine yesterday and hated it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
    Interesting, first negative words I've heard about it. Straight talk on talkbass!

7. Toasted

Toasted

I honesstly have no need for this - I love my DT-10BK, it's a fantastic tuner. Why do I have GAS? FFS!

8. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
    Tuner is the dumbest gas ever too. I mean, my tuner works fine. Do I really need bigger (smaller?) / Better? / Faster? tuning?

9. kevteop

kevteop

I use the Planetwaves tuner and I've never had any issues with mine. Except the front perspex fascia coming loose and rotating a bit, blotting out the sharp sign and confusing the hell out of me, but yeah, no noise issues at least. :D

You know you're beyond help when you have to have the latest tuner.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    When you have one of everything you have to look harder for something to want :D

11. watspan

watspan

I have the other model shown on their website. The strobe is more accurate than the non-strobe tuner I have--nice for intonation. One caution: the strobe will tune you accurately to the closest half step and the lcd display on mine is tough to read on stage w/ low light (and old eyes!) I have on 2 occasions very accurately tuned to A flat!

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    TaySte, do you seriously mean to say you never saw my Turbo Tuner thread, or the fact that I rave about it every time a tuner thread is posted? :p Anyway, I'd be interested to know why that one guitarist hated it- straight talk is always welcome, but "my guitarist hated it" is, well... pretty low on the "useful-o-meter". :)

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    I just assumed it was about a compressor ;)

14. Coelho

Coelho

As I said I like the pedal. He asked if he could use it, I explained how it worked and he said it was too confusing.

I think it is not as accurate as the strobostomp (or maybe I can read the strobostomp patterns better), but it tracks MUCH faster, so it makes for faster tunning IMO.

15. Rufus

Rufus

I love this tuner and I said so in another thread, but the only response I got was skeptical. If you read the guarantee on their website, it clearly states the accuracy of it. I too have the first model that came out (ST122) and it is great for intonation setting. I don't have any equipment to check the manufacturers claims, but it is definitely more accurate than my old Korg, which WAS the best made 25 years ago. The Turbo Tuner guarantee is that the accuracy is even better than the Petersen strobe tuners. I don't think they could make that claim unless it was true, as we are all aware, someone WILL check the specs on it. Anyway, I still love this little tuner. Great product at a reasonable price. As a matter of fact, I paid $125.00 for my Korg, and that was 25 years ago. I highly recommend the Turbo Tuner.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

You keep saying that, but it's .1 cent less accurate. Who can hear that?

17. grovest

grovest

I think more than that is that the display of the Petersons (I have a VSAM) is more conducive to precise tuning. I can see how it would be slower, though.

18. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

I have my Korg DTR-XXX, and it tunes quickly and accurately.

Am I saying that I don't want that fancy Peterson rackmount tuner that can do the cool scrolling marque thing? No.

But am I on the market for another tuner? No.

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

i have a built-in tuner in my brain.

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Acknowledging that everyone will find one thing or another to work better for them, I don't personally think the Turbo's readout is any more difficult to read than the Strobo. The Strobo has multiple bands that spin slower and eventually stop when in tune; the Turbo has one band that spins slower and eventually stops when in tune. The Turbo also lights brighter/dimmer to indicate signal strength, whereas the Strobo just freezes and stutters when the signal weakens. ;)

21. Coelho

Coelho

Both of these are not true for the pedal version I have... :confused:
    -No brighter/dimmer
    -Sometimes up to 3 segments of leds. Sometimes they rotate in opposite directions (as a strobe does)