Sonny Bluebeard vs Fuzzrocious Grey Stache

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I am currently looking at these 2 fuzz pedals and am wondering what everybodys opinions are on them. I would love to hear from people who have them or have personally used them. Not interested in other fuzz suggestions as I already have others and am only looking at these 2. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks everybody, Mike
  2. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Are you just looking for people's taste or a features/tone breakdown?
  3. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

I have both and like the grey stache a little bit more for it's versatility. I have one with a second sustain knob and footswitch, really comes in handy. I dont have a use for a muff on my board right now but both are GREAT muff variants and I'm probably NEVER getting rid of either of them.
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

I am a big fan of the Fuzzrocious pedals I have tried (Rat Tail and OSD), and the only thing keeping me from ordering up a Grey Stache is the fact that I already own and love a Bluebeard.
  5. Musicman1901

Looking for anything really. Would love to hear why ppl like which one they do and also tone comparisons etc.
  6. Musicman1901

Besides the versatility factor which one do you think has superior tone? I have heard some clips of the bluebeard but I have not heard much of the grey stache. The stache seems to have alot of mod options also so I know the stache is going to be much much more versatile overall but I'm more after a great fuzz tone then the ability to get 100 mediocre fuzz tones. So does the stache sound better? Or can it just do more than the bluebeard?
  7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Tone is always going to be subjective to the individual, all I can tell you that the Grey Stache has a more detailed midrange and is more versatile. This doesn't count out the Bulebeard, however. The Bluebeard's strength is in it's gain stage. This guy will cover wall of doom like no other, however, it's not meant to even be a "low gain fuzz".

Your best bet is to either watch as many videos as you can, or buy both and flip the one you don't choose to keep. My experience shows that you can break pretty close to even in the classifieds for either one. I wish there were an easier suggestion for you, but the truth is they are both excellent pedals in their own right...each built by one of the nicest dudes you can hope to know! :D
  8. Tendollarcat

Tendollarcat

Totally agree with the comments here. I've owned both.

I think the Stache is a more modern and versatile sounding muff. It's big and grindy sounding with quite a few tonal variations. If you want a muff sound to cover a lot of territory, go this way.

I think the Bluebeard is heavier sounding, with more bottom end and thud. It's more old school, traditional and aggressive. If you want to use a muff sound to produce huge, booming dirt, go this way.
  9. bassboysam

bassboysam

I agree with most of what has been said. even with more versatility the GS can't get the BB tone. the GS has a lot more high mid and sizzle. the BB is more scooped (unless you bypass the tone control) and has more low and low mid punch. while it can be scooped the trick with the BB is setting the volume correctly.

In the end i kept the BB as the GS with my set up and band ended up making me sound too much like the guitar.
  10. bcplemons

bcplemons Supporting Member

I owned a BlueBeard without the tone bypass and ended up selling it off because, while it sounded great on a recording, I couldn't get it to cut through in a band mix (big surprise for a Muff clone, right?) I haven't tried the Grey Stache, but I would pick it over the BlueBeard given my experience.
  11. bassboysam

bassboysam

Bluebeard fast forward to 1:50

12. Musicman1901

Thanks for the clips. I have a hard time hearing the bluebeard which also agrees with what bcplemons said about it not cutting into the mix. I feel like everybody raves about them and they are so well sought after. Does everybody have this problem of them not cutting? The grey stache is very assertive in the mix and quite mid-rangey. I wish I had the money to buy both and sell one later but I don't. If I can't trade my overdrive for one of them soon i'm gonna try to sell it to fund whichever one I decide on. By the way I really dig your band man.
  13. Scobby Bott

Scobby Bott

Save yourself some trouble and go with the Bluebeard. If you get one Fuzzrocious you're just going to end up wanting them all.
  14. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts Gold Supporting Member

Another chime in .02c
    Bluebeard-Super heavy tone. Crunchy.
    G.Stache has more range and versatility.

I run the beard and stache on my board. Also have 4 other fuzzrocious pedals on there as well.

Damn you Ry, now you release ram the man parts. It might be 6 fuzzrocious pedals sooner than later.
    Stop taking my money!
  15. Musicman1901

I would love to have them both on my board but my wallet disagrees and my pedalboard is crying for space so I have to settle on one or the other. Everyone seems to be saying the grey stache is more versatile and it can do this and that and has a billion options but nobody seems to really be raving about its actual sound and its tone. Just raving about its versatility. The bluebeard however seems to have a group of loyal fans who swear by it and say its the greatest thing ever. Ugh I hate having to choose between 2 pedals.
  16. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I suggest getting the Graystache, trying it out, and selling it if you don't like it. The Bluebeard will take a while to aquire (unless you find one used).

I only have a Bluebeard, but I can say I'll never sell it. If it were my only fuzz I'd get something else to compliment it, something with more versitility. Right now though I have a Tall Font Russian for the uber lowend sizzle, and an Unpleasant Surprise for the upper frequency sizzle. The Bluebeard fills the space in between. So I currently have all the fuzz versitility I need.

If you can only have one, get the Stache, I'm thinking. I'm sure it won't hurt Sonny's feelings.

You'll end up getting a BB eventually anyway. ;)
  17. Musicman1901

I am starting to lean towards the grey stache. I heard the wait time is about a month on them? Is it longer on getting a bluebeard?! They both seem to be pretty popular so if I don't like it I could probably get close to what I paid for it and fund a bluebeard. The available mods seem pretty cool for the grey stache
  18. bassboysam

bassboysam

Just an FYI, the BB can get a lot more cutting. that was with the tone and fuzz at 9 o'clock. it can get considerably brighter. however the GS can't get quite as dark and throaty. i think you will find a lot of BB users dont want a cutting bright tone and go for a thick molases like sound. your best bet is to just pick one to try. if it works then great. if not sell it and try the other.

Not sure what the current wait time for a BB is. there was quite a wait list but Sonny may have worked through it. best to PM sonny.
  19. Musicman1901

Yeah man it really is a tough decision. Let me ask you this. I have a colorsound tonebender on my board right now. Which one do you think sounds the most different from this. I want my 2nd fuzz to be very different so I don't want it to resemble the tonebender
  20. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

I've compared both directly against each other, and I ended up keeping the Grey Stache. Through my rig and bass, they sounded very similar but the GS had more grind in the mids and sounded slightly more gutteral than the BB, which was just smoother (probably due to the excessive gain.) But then my guitarist tried the BB and ended up buying it off me, so if you heard my band you'd hear GS on bass and BB through guitar 100% of the time. Both are gnarly and the best way to tell which you prefer is to try them both at the same time, as they can definitely sound similar and itd be hard to try one, then try the other months later and compare them.

I will say that if I'd never actually bought one and played it myself, I'd always be wondering "what if??" So def try both!

(I know you didnt want other suggestions, but when I had the GS and BB at the same time, I'd wished I'd also bought a Supercollider to compare all 3... its supposed to be similar to both the BB and GS)