1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sorry - I need to vent

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkoYYZ, Jan 3, 2014.

1. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Will someone please buy this stuff, so it stops getting listed on eBay week after week after week, cluttering pages upon pages of listings?

If it's one of you guys, for the love of god please make it stop!!!!!

!$#!%@#!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. verycoolname

verycoolname

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've noticed the same thing. Makes you not want to go on ebay at all.

4. MarkoYYZ

I would be seriously pissed if my listing was smack dab in the middle of 8 pages of that crap.

Is there not a policy against clutter?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Itzayana

Itzayana

First, if you want it gone why don't you buy it?

Second, If you don't want to see it sort your search results from highest price first. Unless you were hoping to buy an actual bass for $3.99.

And no, I'm not the person selling or listing this stuff. But I am sure that the person who is listing it is selling it. There are people who need these things. What if YOU needed a string tree for your headstock?

7. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

You can set a minimum and maximum price to suit your budget after the initial search.

8. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

But Marko, aren't you dazzled by that beautiful blue fabric background? ;)

9. MarkoYYZ

It's not that the items aren't possibly needed by someone, but there are 10 identical listings for the same set of tuners screws, each with a different company name.

How about a single ad offering "set of 4 screws for bass tuner" instead of 15 ads, each with the very same picture, starting with a different company name?

It's the same listings, the same unsold items for months and months on end.

There's a trained reaction that is triggered every time I see that blue fabric background, and I know I'm not the only one. lol

I'm not a fan of reducing the criteria too much, as I'm not there looking for one specific item that might fall into a price range. Sometimes a no-reserve auction might start at $1 even though the item will eventually sell for hundreds, and you miss coming across it because of the clutter that you're trying to avoid.

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

And the same bridge saddle is listed as being authentic for a few of the common manufacturers. I bet they don't even work for half the companies they advertise. I agree it is annoying. I dread searching for anything vague enough to give me all that turquoise backed crap. (And why the turquoise??? The seller must have had a vinyl tablecloth left over from the 80s.) Absolutely horrible :rollno:

^^^
    "There's a trained reaction that is triggered every time I see that blue fabric background, and I know I'm not the only one. lol"
    I know of this phenomenon, it is quite unpleasant.

11. Itzayana

Itzayana

Okay. Point taken. I agree.
    Are they the same guy listing them with different company names? Or are they actually different companies?
    If it is the same person they need to be seriously spanked.
    I see this often on Craigslist too.
    Dipshit band puts a listing for "Lead singer wanted" and then repeats the ad fifteen times with different city names all within a 20 mile radius. I hate that.

12. MarkoYYZ

13. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Marko, you are on a planet infested with.........humans! (Ugh!) :rolleyes:

Welcome to planet Earth, where these odd creatures do such silly things. Next thing ya know, those creatures will generate a scenario where highly uneducated unsavory types yell at each other and start fights, and then broadcast it via "tele-vision" into everyone's living room on a daily basis on weekdays during the day! Now *THAT* would be freakish. Oh......wait.......

14. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

This is what I do too! "highest first price" solves the problem!!
    you are also correct!! people DO need to buy small parts sometimes!!

15. MarkoYYZ

So a couple of people agree, but I guess most people are cool with the clutter. I wonder if they would be cool with the same kind of posting practices here... prob not.

16. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

"So a couple of people agree, but I guess most people are cool with the clutter."

I don't think it's so much that they're "cool with it", it's more that it becomes irrelevant if you use a couple of tricks (as described above) to avoid it. Another method is to include phrases such as "-screws", "-strings", "-saddle", etc. (i.e., placing a "-" [minus sign] in front of a word describing whatever related items you DON'T want to find) in your search parameters.

I have to do that all the time when scouting for vintage car parts. Putting a "-fits" in front of the year/car model in question eliminates a lot of junk like faux zebra-skin seat covers, plastic bobblehead dolls and cheesy floor mats that these jokers are trying to sell to anybody who owns ANY vehicle. And don't get me started on page after page of hideous hubcaps and rims.

I certainly understand your exasperation, but there ARE these "work-arounds". E-Bay is unlikely to change policy: after all, which of their users would get to define what is "junk" and what is not? So just use one of the "end runs" described above and chill, baby...

17. JustForSport

JustForSport

Those are all parts of disassembled new items being sold for as much as the complete item sells for.
    Yeah- what a lot of clutter in the listings, but there's no rule/law against being obnoxious yet (on ebay).
    Maybe need a sub- 'PartsBay' for that stuff, or a requirement that it's listed as 'parts' and then can be filtered as a group.
    My scroll wheel gets a lot of use getting past all that.

18. markorbit

markorbit

They are clearly titled to answer a specific search when people look for items for a specific brand. Nothing wrong there. The link you gave searches a generic term hence they are all applicable.

19. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen

Funny. Fleabay must give you a free roll of teal carpet when you start a store. A few different sellers with the same backround have 21 listings of the first 50 when i do my daily GIBSON BASS search. Doesnt faze me in the least but it is comical. :D

20. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

What is this "eBay"?

21. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Now thanks to this thread those same items clutter TB and give the seller more attention.