1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sound cancelling

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by marlin bass, Feb 19, 2013.

1. marlin bass

marlin bass

I recently fitted some new tonerider pickups to my p-j bass but now when I put the switch onto all pickups I lose volume, work fine individually! Should I scrap the switch and re-wire with a second volume so that the pickup loops are seperate from one another?

Any suggestions!!

Thanks Gaz!!
  2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Witgout having heard your bass I would say that a switch only makes hearable what is normal.

The two single PUs are always a little bit louder than these two PUs in parallel mode.

If they are MUCH louder when single, you might have made a mistake and they are out-of-phase? Switch the two J wires (not the P wires). Does it get louder or even more quiet in the middle position?

If this makes it even worse, change the PU hights of one of the two PUs. The J a little bit more up or the P a little bit more down. It can happen that the hight of both PUs was adjusted so unlucky, that the middle position is not so loud (but this is a rare).

To my mind, two seperate volumes (or a balance pot) make no difference to a switch.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Sounds like it could be a phase issue as per Cadfael's post.
  4. marlin bass

marlin bass

Hi all

Have just been in the back of my bass and swapped the wires on the j PU and as it turns out hay presto its sounding better than ever!! Cheers for your advice!!

Gaz