Sound City

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by richntiff, Aug 24, 2013.

1. richntiff

richntiff

Probably a thread started on this already - sorry if I missed it - but have you seen the Sound City documentary? If you have not -WATCH IT!

Outstanding.
  2. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Hearing Tom Petty say "f*ck that, I wanna push some buttons man." Is worth the price of admission by itself haha.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Definitely a 'must see' for musician's (especially those of us who remember when all that stuff was happening. Amazing documentary of a 'time past'.
  4. sevdog

sevdog

I DVR'd it and ended up watching it 3 times this week (Me thinks I watch too much TV). Really a cool documentary.

That Fleetwood Mac basically came into being at Sound City was an interesting piece of history that I did not know before.

That they spend basically an entire section talking about how important recording drums is, is pretty cool too. That should be the first rule of recording... and that there are so many big budget albums out there these days that have been protools-ed out with drums recorded in some bedroom or something is an absolute travesty.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco D

Jaco D

Have a copy of the DVD as well as the sound track. Bless your heart, David Grohl! Thank God that mixing board got a new lease on life. It sure would be a pity if it ended up in some museum or worse, in a dump or surplus parts store. David said it right that part of the magic of analog was that people met face to face with each other, which is something you could "simulate" in the digital world. It would be interesting to see what future projects Grohl has in mind for that board. Having Macca jamming with guys old enough to be his sons (grandsons?) was really nice.
  7. richntiff

richntiff

Totally agree - that studio and board's list of who's who is pretty incredible. I loved the analog vs digital discussion and the early days of pro-tools, etc. I've always thought Grohl is a really talented guy - but in this movie you can see how much he loves and appreciates the history of that place.
  8. Bassman Spiff

Bassman Spiff

Excellent program. Loved the history and the evolution and/or variety of artists that recorded there. I am a bit anachronistic (love fountain pens and old sports cars), so seeing the appreciation and second life for that analog board made me smile.

Plus, I have newfound respect and appreciation for Dave Grohl. He is definitely multi-talented, and still seems enthused and dedicated to the craft/art of making music.
  9. richntiff

richntiff

I think one of my favorite points I took away from it is how powerful putting a group of musicians in one space can be - see what you come up with kind of stuff. I have to wonder - is this interaction being lost now? Anybody can get pro tools or another DAW and sit in their room and make music -but I think that personal interaction is what has created the BEST music.

On a side note - forget his name, but have you ever seen a drummer play with such pure joy as the Foo's drummer? That dude is killer.
  10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Taylor Hawkins. I'd be a little nervous being Grohl's drummer. lol
  11. mogpipe

mogpipe

Taylor Hawkins is his name, freaking awesome drummer! Grohl stole him from Alannis Morreset ?.
  12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Can't say I thought it was that great, some fun history but kind of too much like a sales pitch. Since the movie was about a console originally, it would have been nice to have some real info, not a spoof cut Rupert Neve with a cut in of Grohl with a retarded smile,
    just a single minute of that man talking for real would have been gold. Oh well...
  13. bolophonic

bolophonic

I thought the first half was great, the middle was so-so, and the endless jam with Paul McCartney made me want to poke out my own eardrums.
  14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Yup. Taylor is a fantastic drummer. He definitely fits well with Dave and Foo.

I've wanted to see this but it's not available for rent yet or on tv so I'll probably just have to buy it.
  15. richntiff

richntiff

I caught it on VH1...
  16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yeah, IMO Grohl is one of the most talented musicians to come out of that scene - along with Cantrell...

- georgestrings
  17. tocs100

tocs100 Utah Bass of Doom, Metal DJ @ leafpileradio.com

Yup.
  18. tmdazed

tmdazed

Not sure if stole is the right term, Weigh it out , Playing background to Alanis Morrisette or being asked to join a band with a man with the Credentials of Dave Grohl, no brainer to me, can pretty much guarantee that the earning potential and fun factor playing with Grohl would quickly outweigh playing background to a washed up Diva
  19. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

If you want to be like that, first it was a case of Dave Grohl stealing the entire rhythm section of Sunny Day Real Estate for the first incarnation of the Foos. But they parted company with drummer Will Goldsmith after that first record, and THAT is when Taylor Hawkins came into the picture on drums for the Foo Fighters. And mind you, that Alanis Morrisette backing band was pretty freaking awesome with Taylor on drums and Chris Chaney on bass!
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Agreed. Completely.
  21. richntiff

richntiff

Absolutely spot on.