1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sound Clip - Roscoe LG-3005

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Aug 15, 2011.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    This is one of the very first Roscoes I ever received, so it's over two years old at this point. I've got several in stock that fit that description (or soon will), so I'm going to make a serious effort to record these basses and make some specific comments about each.

This one has aways been one of my favorites tonally, and I think you'll hear why in the clip. It's got a thick, ballsy tone that I love. On the neck pickup, it's basically a P-Bass. With both PUPs blended, it has that signature Roscoe tone in spades. Oh, yeah, and it looks pretty fantastic, too!!

Roscoe LG-3005 (Box Elder)
    [​IMG]

As usual, I recorded the bass direct through my REDDI tube DI by A-Designs. The drums were programmed in Sonar using Session Drummer 3.

One fun note - I've been getting into drums lately, trying to dig a little deeper into beats and rhythyms. My technical knowledge of that stuff is just about zero. Jerry mentioned his drummer holding down a clave with his foot a few days ago, and I was like the heck does that mean?!? A little wiki reading lead me to the main clave patterns, and I based this beat upon the rumba clave. I programmed the wood block (which plays the rumba clave pattern) first, then I filled in with a funky beat around that. Then I picked up the bass and started looking for a song to play. A random stab in the Real Book, and I landed on "Nobody Knows You..." :rollno::D

Here is a complete mix as well as the individual bass tracks so you can really hear this bass put through its paces.

"Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" (Complete Mix)
    "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" (Bass, All Neck PUP)
    "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" (Chords, All Bridge PUP)
    "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" (Lead, Both PUPs, Blend centered)
  2. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh, and I should mention something else about two-year-old Roscoes like this one. When they reach one year, I'm allowed to go 5% under the minimum sales price. That's the price you see on my site for anything marked "NEW, OLD STOCK". At 2 years... well, I can't publicly say what I can do at 2-years, but feel free to ask me privately!
  3. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Bravo, Greg! Outstanding. Love the playing, and that bass does sound fantastic.
  4. oren

oren

+1

I've never heard such a cheery sounding version of that tune - nice groove!

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

So, when does the fretless SKB3005 turn 2?
  6. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Nov 11 will be two years on this one.
    [​IMG]
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Thats the one I was thinkin of!
  8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

My newfound love of fretless has me thinking...I loved this one when I tried it last summer...
  9. bassWR

bassWR

so who liberatd this one today?