1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sound difference: B-100R vs. B-200R..?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KF2B, Aug 3, 2013.

1. KF2B

KF2B

Greetings,

I am upgrading my gear and am in the lucky position that I can choose of both mentioned and long discontinued Ampeg combos, and no, I but cannot afford them both. So I have to choose....

Yes, I ´ve used the search and do know that the 200R often has problems (cabinet rattles on higher playing volumes) due to it´s construction (aluminum reinforcement). I also know that the 100R is regarded as the "tone monster" and that the 200R does seem not to have much going for it tone-wise from having a tube pre on it, in contrast to the 100% solid state design of the 100R...

Now all that out of the way, could you who have experience on said amps please share your opinion of the following question to which I have not found the answer to using the search so far:

With moderate (say not much higher than acoustic bass) playing volumes what are the differences of the B-100R vs B-200R sound/tone-wise?

Please do note: which of the said amps I will get will be solely used as a practice amp only. - I do not need nor cannot (neighbors behind wall) play it on higher than very moderate levels and I have not need whatsoever for the XLR output on the B-200R. Yes, the B-200R is usually spoken as the not so good option of the two, and frankly I do not need the extra 100w it offers, so B-100R would seem like the wiser option. Anyways, I can get both for in about the same condition and for about the same price, and as I am about to get a keeper herein after sale market prices etc are of no interest.

Yeah, the easiest option would be to play both live and trust my own ears but due to geographical considerations that is not a option. - I need to make the decision without trying, never mind how lame is that :spit:

So, how do they differ sound/tone-wise on moderate playing levels?

Thanks!

J.
  2. jfabrizio

jfabrizio

I have both and if I could only have one I would go with the 100r. Sound wise the 200r is a little rounder and warmer due to the tube preamp but it does tend to break up a lower gain settings. Also most of them out there used are made in china and the reliability is awful. I have one of the rare USA models but due to their poor reliability reputation I always question it unfortunately. Never had that concern with the 100 plus it's smaller and easier to transport. I would go with that one for sure.
  3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

I had a B200r and sold it. to flabby sounding. I've heard nothing but good things about the b100r though.
  4. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

Never played the 200. Loved the 100, but didn't handle my drop C well the speaker was fine, the amp didin't like it, felt like some weird limiting. In standard tuning I think the 100 is awesome!
  5. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

Please let me resurrect that fading thread...

I am thinking of getting a B-100R. What I am looking for, is a flip top-ish sounding combo on the cheap. Is that it?

Or, is there another Ampeg model that gets closer for the same amount of money?

I am perfectly fine with 100 watts solid-state. I am just seeking a certain quality of sound.

Thanks in advance.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, it cops that sound to a large degree. A lot of their other models do, too. One of my favorite low cost alternatives is the BA112. The Portaflex cabs are lower tuned than most B-15's but they also cop that sound to a large degree. But the B100R does really sound great. It's one amp I wish I'd have picked up while it was still being made.
  7. lowend1

lowend1

I have both of the amps that Jimmy just mentioned and both are worthy of the praise that we have heaped on them over the years. If all you're doing is practicing at home - or maybe recording - I would recommend the BA112 (if one is available to you at a reasonable price). It is a little more flexible than the B100R, and the 12" speaker is better suited to home use, IMHO. The tilt-back enclosure is nice as well. If, however, there is ANY possibility that you might gig, or even jam with a band, you would be remiss to pass on the B100R. If the choice is between the 100 and 200, there is no contest - the B100R is a classic.
  8. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

The B-50R is my favorite sounding solid state Ampeg combo amp. Great for Real Book gigs.
  9. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Ba 112is really all that and a bag of chips . Fat full ,and surprisingly loud with 'that' tone .
  10. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Continued .. Ba112 is a good low cost to 100 for sure
  11. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Think the B-100R would be loud enough for a three piece outfit at clubs with 30-150 people? I had another post about buying a smaller alternative for a hire gig, but the drummer owns a B-100R already. Back when I used to work at a music store this amp made me droooooool. But I never used it with a band.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It might be, sure. Give it a shot.
  13. James Simonson

James Simonson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball, LaBella Strings
    Definitely the B100. It's a great overlooked combo.

I used the 200 that was supplied for a high profile gig in NYC, I was really excited to try it. It sounded really good. It appeared to be well kept BUT it started cutting in and out after 5-6 songs. It was a drag and embarrassing. I was pushing on it but still.. I've pushed my USA B100 hard and it has never cut out. The 1/4 inch line out on the B100 into your own DI is a really solid move.

I have nothing bad to say about the B100 Rocket Bass! Great little amp!! It's a Honey Badger.
  14. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Or you can do what I did - Buy a clean B200-R. Then, when it blows up, remove the chassis, get a PF-350 head and voila! you'll have a killer, reliable 1x15 rig.

Seriously, the B200R cabinet is really good. The chassis...not so much, although it does sound good while it is working.

If I had to do over and didn't need a ton of clean headroom, I'd have gone with a USA-made B100-R.

Here's the 200-R cab with the PF-350 head...

[​IMG]
  15. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

I have a B-100R, a GK / V4 amp w. Aguilar Cab Rig and an the B-100r gets the most playing time. Its light, travels well, and sounds fantastic.
  16. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

He said after gigging with it for a while I can buy it if I like it. How much is fair for a B100r? Can't find any online.
  17. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I wouldnt worry too much about volume if you have PA support. B100R has an excellent line out.

$200 is a steal, $350 is not uncommon.
  18. NightCat

NightCat

Google search.....

Ampeg B100R's for sale.

$350 to $400 seems to be the going rate. I just picked one up (USA made) for $300 but it had some tolex damage. Perfect player though.
  19. NightCat

NightCat

Not to make your GAS worse.......hehehe..
    Vulfpeck - Rango You can see the B100R clearly at 2:35. Joe Dart is one cool bass player!
  20. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Sweet thanks! Can't to see how it holds up in a band situ.