1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sound from 1 fret back?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dougazbass, Feb 9, 2013.

1. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

When I hammer on the 2 highest strings down below the 8th fret or so I can hear what sounds like the next note back. It's like the back side or the string (behind the finger) resonates on the next fret back. Not very noticable but it's there I hear it on all 4 of my basses. What causes that?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    These sounds come from the length of string between the fretted note and the nut. They are actuated by the force of the hammer-ons the same way the as the string length from the fret to the bridge. Obviously, the fret to bridge length is the portion that is "heard" by the pickups and sent to an amp.

If these sounds are very obvious and bothersome, the usual causes are a neck with too much relief, a nut slot that is too high, or a combination of both.

3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

That's just simply string resonance and since it is behind the note fingered on the neck it is not picked up by the pickups. But you will hear it when playing at low volume from the neck or without being plugged in an amp.