1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sound guy screwed me last night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Mar 2, 2014.

1. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Brought my SVT and 410hlf to the gig, pulled it on stage and he took a line out of the back. Checked my levels and he asked me to turn it down a bit, which I did. Sounded fine at sound check, whatever.

Time to play our set. First song and I'm basically playing ghost bass. Can barely hear anything out of my amp and there's no bass in my monitor. I asked him politely for more bass in my monitor between songs and he gave me a thumbs up, but I continued the rest of the set barely being able to hear myself. Certainly affected my playing and threw me off.

I try to really work with sound guys and I didn't go and crank my amp or anything, but I was pretty bummed. It was only a 20 minute set, but c'mon man, make it sound good. I joked with my band mates that the sound guy must have been a guitar player since all you could hear was guitar and vocals FOH all night lol :)
  2. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

He was clearly a Metallica fan
  3. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

If I'm playing with two guitards on stage, I'll start the night by buying the sound guy a beer or two. Seem to never have a problem hearing myself ;)
  4. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

Unless you have ears on your knees you need to get the sound up higher. A 2x10 on top with the 4x10 unplugged would have been way better. Or an 8x10 - or two vertically stacked 2x10's - or a 2x15 - or a tiltback combo (I've done all of those).
  5. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

This may help too if your playing on a crappy stage~
    [​IMG]
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    How did he "screw" you? The band probably sounded great out front. If you couldn't hear yourself, you should have turned up a little bit. I always do sound check with the volume on my bass at 3/4. That way I have room to turn up if I need to.
  7. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

He screwed me by not giving me anything back in my monitor even after asking to hear more bass in my monitor. My drummer said all he could hear was guitar as well.

I usually play an 810 but I went to the gig with my guitar player and didn't have room to bring it. The 410 usually does great and I have no problems hearing myself wether I'm running to the board or not.
  8. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

Igenerally play with just a monitor if I know the soundguy can handle it. As a sound provider myself I often do that for bands no prob. Oh, and BTW taking a line out from an SVT vs miking the cab is heresy :scowl: .
  9. Winfred

Winfred

Yes, he should have given you more bass in your monitor. That is a reasonable, and easy to accommodate, request.

But you should get your cab pointed at you head whenever you can.

I don't trust sound techs. I make sure I can hear myself on stage, first, then I make sure I can hear the kick and hi hat. Everything after that is gravy.
  10. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

After 2 times asking nicely, I would just turn up end of story.
  11. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

From the thread title I thought you might've been a groupie. :bag: