1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SOUND POST POSITION (IT FELL!)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by brahmshalim, Dec 22, 2012.

1. brahmshalim

brahmshalim

Hi guys,
    the DB i owned was just getting its strings changed until :kerplack: the sound post fell.
    does anyone of you have a great idea in which position i can put back the soundpost?
    thanks a lot!
    tw: @brahmshalim

Brahms ;D
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi Brahms.

Yes, we all have our preferences about the position, but unless Yours is a very cheap plywood bass that You don't mind damaging by accident, the answer is that the luthier you take the bass to, knows best where to position the sound post.

Regards
    Sam
  3. brahmshalim

brahmshalim

hi, thanks for helping, but if i can put the sound post somewhere, which position eill it most probably be good? thanks!

brahms ;D
  4. Dave Hosking

Dave Hosking Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Inventor/designer/maker: The Bass Matt
  5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Sound posts don't have their ends cut perpendicularly. They are shaped for the top and back (assuming a roundback). Your sound post has been cut and shaped for a particular location and a small variance around that location. A considerable amount of expertise is required to reset it making sure it is flush. That also requires being able to see the fit. Listen to T-Bird. Unless you have a plywood bass that you don't care about damaging, get thee to a luthier! :)
  6. Michael Case

Michael Case

Why did you even post on here? If all you want is to be told what you want to hear. The best answer to your question is "your luthier knows best" is a fine answer. You obviously don't know how to change the strings on the bass, if you did you would know you change them one at a time TO AVOID THE DAMN SOUNDPOST FROM FALLING DOWN! If you go to a good Luthier, they might not even charge you or charge very little depending on how much of a job it turns out to be.
  7. dave79

dave79 Supporting Member

If the soundpost is properly fitted for the position that it is in it won't fall down if you remove the tension from all the strings.

"Luthier knows best" works up to a point, I actually have to bring my bass back to have the post repositioned since I'm not getting enough volume playing jazz pizz out of the low E, my new luthier thought I just played classical, it sounds fine arco.
  8. Michael Case

Michael Case

Only to a point, (from what I've been told) that the post should stay up without string tension, but should be able to fall when the strings are off.

Why don't you just adjust the post yourself? You just said the Luthier isn't always right.
  9. dave79

dave79 Supporting Member

If I had a cheaper bass I would try...somewhat...maybe. He knows what he's doing when it comes to positioning it(I would be trial and error, I don't have time for that) and I don't have to pay for it, also I don't have that nifty tool.

And no, it shouldn't fall if you take the strings off and it is in proper position/is the proper length/etc.
  10. dave79

dave79 Supporting Member

Also, my point was luthier/player collaboration is a good thing, not one or the other. If someone is truly a beginner it may be best to just let the luthier handle it though.
  11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

No Dave, this is not a hard and fast rule. When I've had my bass at my luthier and he pulled all the strings off for this reason or that, my soundpost did not fall. Still, it is quite possible to have a carved bass worked on during the summer months and have the sound post drop if all the strings are off and it gets bumped just a bit. If it falls under such circumstances, it's not necessarily indicative of an improper fit.
  12. dave79

dave79 Supporting Member

I agree with you, I assumed weather conditions would fit under my etc. clause, I'm not joking, I thought about writing that s*** out too! Also change over years happens. But in both these settings you still need it adjusted if you want it functioning optimally.
  13. Michael Case

Michael Case

I guess another point I'd like to make is that it's not really advisable to set your soundpost yourself if you need to log on to in internet forum to get a basic idea of where it needs to be positioned. I wouldn't feel right giving that advice, and I think a lot of the people who responded feel the same.
  14. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Well, as has been pointed out, it's the ends that have to sit flush with the top. The basic position I believe is starting half a post south of the bridge foot, yes?
  15. dave79

dave79 Supporting Member

Hosking thankfully posted the link that addresses the issues involved. The real question is if brahmshalim is still paying attention to this post, and if so, if he should attempt it himself or pay the $20 to get a pro to do it...which might take a week or more this time of year, if there is even one close to wherever he is located. I say if he has a cheap plywood and has the tools to do it then why not, if he wants to be playing on it right now. If he can wait, then taking it to a luthier seems the best option.
  16. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Look inside the bass, there should be very faint marks/indents on the top and back where the sound post originally was.
    That's as good a place to start as any.

You absolutely have to be able to tell which end was towards the top and which towards the back though, not so easy on some carved backs.
    On a flatback it's obviously rather easy ;).

:D

Back in the day when I started working on my first DB project, that's just how I did it :).
    In all fairness though, I had absolutely no-one to turn to regarding advice or the proper techniques.

Granted, it was just a carved 1/2 CCB, but with a few days of searching on the 'net, I was able to not only set the soundpost, but to buy and fit the bridge as well.
    Took a full day IIRC to do 'em both.

The feller who bought it from me not long after I finished the repairs, couldn't believe that it really was my first attempt at those tasks.
    He did admit that it wasn't perfect by his standards, but unless he had the time to tweak it a bit, good enough as-is for the student of his he bought it for.

That story is by no means an encouragement for the OP or anyone else to just start tinkering with their valuable instrument(s), I've been woodworking since the age of 7 or so and my "first victims" on anything have always been on the cheap end of the spectrum.

So once again, do not ruin anything valuable by attemptig a DIY job.

Regards
    Sam
  17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    On occasions when I had to have all of the strings off my bass (or cello), I noticed that if I lift up on the scroll, the bass bar tips over. I think it was just due to the flexing of the plates.
  18. jnel

jnel Guest

another reason to change the strings ONE AT A TIME!

bass bar = "I've fallen and can't get up"

sound post - "hey, that's my line":hyper:
  19. jnel

jnel Guest

tried to pm you

i confess that i did the same thing changing my strings the first time. my dad ordered a book on double bass repair that showed a simple way to make a tool so you can erect the sound post. email me and i will tell you what the book says jimnelson895@yahoo.com

or did you get it back up- let us know