1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sound problem/question: bass loss, getting thinner

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SonnyBassPlayer, Dec 2, 2013.

1. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Hello again, I am here with another question.
    When I turn on my amp and start playing, I have a pretty pounchy and defined sound. I turn on the amp with both bass knobs (P bass) on, and Gain and volume levers off on the amp (Mag300). I turn them up as much as I need, play, and after some minutes the sound literally starts losing fullness and it gets brighter, at the point of being half as bass in tone as before.
    I have first noticed that in a small combo, and thought it was its fault. Paying more attention I realised my amp too does that, so it is no amp problem, nor cable. I will take my bass to repair anyway but I won't manage to do that for a while, so I ask you, what in the world could cause this sound change? I hope it's notvsomething obvious I nooby didn't know.
    The bass has F Original 1962 pickups, aftermarket cheap jack and the rest is standard mexican wiring.
    Thank you!
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Turn your tone knob down. On a P-Bass set up, having that tone knob wide open will be all treble and nothing else. The brightness kicking in might just be the amp warming up.
  3. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Thank you that may be a reason. The problem is that after I hear the bass loss, I boost the bass amp knob, get almost back to normality, and than bass goes again. Than I boost again and again and also I turn down the bass tone know, getting more bass, losing it again, so even with the know to the bass side, the thing comes back.
  4. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    That's your ears/brains getting stressed out and tired. Watch out for some serious headache.
    Although this usually does not happen after only 5 minutes, it usually takes 20 - 30 minutes
  5. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Thank you. Even if I never had a headache after playing (even for several hours), adding, it could also happen at pretty low volumes, and with everyone in the room (like 2-4 people) hearing the bass sound getting different?
    Also, with the combo It gets better if I turn it off for even just 2 minutes, while leaving it on for the same time (not playing of course) keeps the sound the same.
  6. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    your last statement indicates that it is an amp problem. With several people hearing it simultaneously, I doubt my earlier statement (still: watch your levels and wear ear protection for your own good)

I advice some debugging. You have several variables: Bass, cable, amp, your ears.
    We already figured out that your ears are probably fine.

So, check all other variables (maybe in a store?). Use your bass with the same cable into different amps. Problem found? if no, use different basses into the same amp. Problem found? if no, use different wiring. Problem still not found? Ask the tech in the shop while you are there
  7. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

You are being very helpful! I can tell it is not the cable, it happens with different ones. I am pretty sure the combo fails too, and probably in my room with the Mag it's a volume issue. I will do some testing, thanks!
    Small OT: could you tell me an example of what you mean by ear protection? I never went around that.
  8. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    sure
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/alpine_musicsafe_prosilver_edition.htm
    This would be cheaper ear protection, but they are quite standard. Many musicians use them (me too).
    Our Drummer and Guitarist both have 'em made specially. They went to a special shop where they measure ear protection system especially for your. That was around 200 bucks.

always protect your ears!