Sound quality seems reduced by the end of the practice

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Dr3thepooner, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Dr3thepooner

Dr3thepooner

I know the title is a bit confusing, but here it is.

I have been noticing that my Cab sounds a bit off, by the time the jam / practice is over.

I am playing out of 4x10 GK neo + MB800 head.
    The cab is sitting on its side on top of another cab (inactive), the room we jam in is pretty small, so everything is close together.

When we start playing everything sounds very nice, the sound is deep and punchy on the low strings, high end is very determined.

Maybe its just my ears getting tired, but roughly one hour in the practice - sound becomes ... for the lack of better word ..to metallic / screechy / almost farty, esp on the low notes.

Wonder if this is something to do with the Cab.
    I will try to change my pick up battery though it could be that.

Any one else having similar experiences ?

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Neo speakers- perhaps there was a previous scenario where your cab was pushed too hard and the speakers were overheated/ damaged (ragged) to a degree?
    As I understand it, neo speakers loose volume and degrade sonically when they are overheated- perhaps they are ragged from a previous scenario and are now degrading sonically as they are being used, even though it is a normal use scenario?
    Or it could be a problem with the amp and a ragged component degrading over a period of use…
    make sure to check all cables for shorts, etc. etc….

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

Ear fatigue, betcha. Try earplugs next time and get back to us.

4. Dr3thepooner

Dr3thepooner

Always wear earplugs, and both head and cab are pretty much brand new... i hope its my hears though! ... or pick up battery is going low : )

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Honestly I noticed this at practice that even with ear plugs eventually things just lose their poppiness. I would even pop out an ear plug once and a while and everything sounded all sparkly again.

Whenever I notice this happening I open a new set of plugs :)

7. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    is it just during the jam/practice with others? Do you run a compressor? Acoustic drums don't have and a lot of guitarists don't use compression, so as practice goes on maybe they're digging in a little deeper and banging the drums louder/driving their amps harder. I've noticed a lot of times with a compressor or limiter(especially cheap ones) it may start doing it's job more when you're trying to dig a little deeper to get it louder to match them(reverse effect of your goal).

8. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

I had the same problem at rehearsal last night, but I chalked it up to improper in line effects placement or, bad pre tubes in my ampeg

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Another issue is that you tend to play harder and louder as the rehearsal progresses.

10. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

1. Ear fatigue
    2. Volume creep

11. Dr3thepooner

Dr3thepooner

Ya, my guitar player does, always go louder. And I generally start diggin in as well, that is a valid fact. What i forgot to mention, is that I run bunch of pedals, one of the main ones is VT Bass always on... i found "Character" knob will add to the "issue". As I decrease it , it seems to be better. As well I do use speakon cable from Cab to head, maybe i should try 1/4" , tho not sure if MB800 takes that one. I will try standing cab on the ground just for fun as well...

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You might be running much horn attenuation? Maybe drop highs on the eq instead if that's the case.

No reason whatsoever to swap speakon out for 1/4".

13. NWB

NWB

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Well, one way to find out would be to record yourself. I think you would be able to make a distinction then between, for example, playing harder and speakers scratching, because you then don't have the very possible case of ear fatigue blurring your sense of hearing.

15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Invest in ear protection (earplugs), and turn everything and everyone's volume down - turn all of it way down, and don't rehearse for to long, keep rehearsals short (total hours) and take breaks to let you ears/brains rest. I like speakon cables but yeah, check all of your gear, cables, adapters, effects, etc and make sure you don't have any dead batteries, and etc.

EDIT: and put your neo410 cab on the ground - take it off the top of the inactive cab, and if you can, move the inactive cab out of the room.

16. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    There ya go.

17. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Last summer I had a 5 hour rehearsal with the three piece I played with in the early 80's. I usually use a PF-500 and speakers I built...a 12/6/1 and 12 sub.

There was the drummer's son's rig there, a Pro7 and a 2X10 plus horn Carvin neo cab.

It sounded good, close enough to my rig for the 5 hours.

I noticed by the last hour that the cabinet sounded different...sort of blurry in the low end. It was tight and punchy when we started.

Why? I don't know. I didn't touch the settings all practice. I didn't get louder. We weren't playing all that loud.

At the actual gig, I used my own rig, with all ceramic speakers. No changes as the night went on, as usual.

The Carvin still sounded good, just looser and sort of blurry in the low end. The cabinet sounded fine a week later at the gig, where I tried it just to make sure I didn't damage it.

18. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

- Ear fatigue
    - Sweaty hands

I don't know about you but personally , I sweat a lot , and in an 1-2 hour practice/show , my tone changes mostly because of that.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It's probably ear fatigue.

20. bassgeezer56

bassgeezer56

See that many of you like to employ ear plugs. Over my last 40 years enjoying the bottom end have never been able to use them. Probably have a level of hearing loss/damage but that connection to my sound canvas is of utmost importance, just can't stand the disconnection from the slight nuances of my instrument, somewhat like a drunk driver my musical vision is distorted. Add to that, an obscured set of low frequencies that at the best of times can be difficult to connect to especially when wandering the bottom end of a 5 stringer with the highs rolled off. Is that the phone ringing? :cool:

21. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Say what?