1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

sound quality

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by engebret, Aug 8, 2013.

1. engebret

engebret

Will the sound be better when playing through an ampifier (monitor) to the PA than plug in directly to PA without the ampifier?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A mixers line in tend to be a bit lower in impedance than a passive bass likes to see. That will equate to a loss of highs. I've done this many times and was content with what was coming out of the PA. A direct box of some kind would minimize this loss.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I've always thought plugging basses into mixers directly sounds lame. I only feel slightly better about most DI boxes, too.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Yes BUT - you're a professional Jimmy Lad! :D

I actually much prefer to use my own amp. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Could be better, could be worse, depends on the gear between the bass and the speakers.

Assuming you have good gear available like Jimmy, either way works fine. Take one piece away and replace it with shite and there goes the bass.

7. kilgoja

kilgoja

an amp sounds better than direct PA or a DI box. you get the tone from your amp rather than just the bass sound itself from the guitar. you get the eq from your amp coming through the PA which sounds much better. it's no contest.

8. Vanceman

Vanceman

Next question.

Which sounds better? DI to the mixer, or mic the cabinent, if you only had one choice?

9. john m

john m Supporting Member

No tweeter & you play with crunch (therefore need the speaker sound) & you have the RIGHT MIC

otherwise XLR (pre) or DI

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    If it's an awesome DI like mine, DI. If not, a decent mic with an EQ curve that's relatively flat and low is my choice.