1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sound Test Ibanez Gary Willis GW35 versus Warwick Corvette Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masai40, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Masai40

Masai40

Hi,

I recently fell in love with playing fretless and ended up purchasing a Corvette Standard 4 string. After changing the strings to La Bella Black Tape Wounds, this bass has become my main bass and I am playing it 90% of the time. As luck would have it, I went into a Music Store and they had a used Gary Willis GW35. I played this and was blown away by it.

Here is me playing the GW35:

Question is which sounds better?

Keep in mind, the Corvette is strung with the Tapewound and the Gary Willis has flatwounds...also, I am going through a Fender Rumble when playing the Gary Willis and going through a Markbass CMD for the Corvette.

2. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I like the Willis bass but I'm partial to those. ha.

3. Masai40

Masai40

Thank you. I really enjoyed playing it and I am seriously thinking of now getting rid of the warwick for it. How would you compare the Willis GW35 (lower end) to the Corvette Standard? What do you like specifically about the Willis bass?

4. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

The willis bass sounds fuller at the bottom end, fatter. I like the ergonomics of the Willis bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. edpal

edpal Banned

I bought my Gary Willis due to a slightly inebriated shopping trip. Wife and I had been at a party, we bailed early and I asked her if we could stop at my favorite music store on the way home. As she walked around looking at the axes "ooh, pretty colors"(non musician) I came upon the Willis. Not having my reading glasses on and being a hair glazed I just started jamming down on it. After a few minutes I realized it was fretless. WOW was that smooth! Went back a few days later without the wife and bought it. About the only complain I could make are the custom tuner knobs - since when are 3 eared tuners easier to grip? I thought grip was about leverage, like one finger on one side of said tuner, another on the other.:confused:

I had a Warwick Corvette f/l, no comparision, Willis beats it hands down.