1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Soundclips - Seymour Duncan SJB-1 vs. Antiquity II

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nemo, Feb 25, 2009.

What pickups do you like more?

1. SD Antiquity II

36 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. SD SJB-1

27 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. SD CarrotCity III

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. nemo

nemo

Hi, I just changed the pickups in my '76 Jazz from SJB-1 to Antiquity II.

Both are surprisingly similar, but there are differences.
    I must first check it with the band at rehearsal next week before coming to a final conclusion.

Meanwhile, tell me what you think.

Both clips were taken the same day with the same 40-100 broken-in Sunbeams. Playing sloppiness included for free. :)

SJB-1.mp3 - 3.97MB

Antiquity II.mp3 - 3.97MB

2. jfenderp

jfenderp

Very nice comparison! Tough decision on which I liked better, I think I liked the SJB-1 overall but I thought the Antiquity's had a rounder, smoother bottom to them. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them though.

3. duff2

duff2

To my ears, the SJB-1 pickups are definitely smoother sounding with an obvious scoop in the midrange frequencies. The Antiquity II's had more midrange definition and will cut through the mix better IMO.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share these soundclips with us. :)

Cheers,
    Duff2

4. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I dig the SJB-1...the bottom end loses a bit of clarity on the antiquity II...although that may work great in a lot of situations, I think it would annoy me after a while...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Seemed to me the IIs killed for fingerstyle - went deeper - but the SJB-1 had better clarity for slapping.

Tough call on how to vote. Maybe the IIs by a hair. (Unless the bass is going to be played more for slap. :meh:)

Thanks for sharing! :)

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Sounds just like my experience with those pickups. The SJB-1 is more of a stripped down punchy, growly rock sound. Strong high mids / lower treble. The AII is more refined and more extended on both ends (adds subterranean bottom and detail up in the high highs). Which one is better depends on the mix you're working with.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24 Supporting Member

The Antiquity II pickups are smoother and less harsh but they are both pretty similar. The differences between these 2 would probably only be noticeable on a recording. Live use probably wouldn't reveal the subtleties.

Another huge consideration in pickup selection is which, if any on-board preamp you are going to use. Adding a John East retro preamp to my Jazz bass made a huge difference and really brought out more of what my Antiquity II's could do.

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

Love the SDAII sound more. Reminds me why I have mine :)

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

That's a tough call between the two. The II sounds a bit more bass focused, but it is bordering on too much low end with a lack of articulate punch. Not that that is a bad thing, just a factor to consider. I like the warmth of it and the fact that it has more thump/feel than sound.

I was searching for the slop and didn't find any. My clips must have forgotten to package it in. I want a refund :D

11. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

my thoughts, exactly (read prev. post)...

my approach to tone is simple...I want as much of everything (lows, highs, & mids) as even as I can get from the pickup, then I can EQ to taste...that way, good slap tone is as easily achievable as killer fingerstyle...

I reckon, you could get killer slap tone or fingerstyle with EITHER pickup...I just lean towards the SJB-1 because I like the initial low-end clarity...dialing in "mud" is simple...:)

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Thanks for the direct comparison, and playing the different styles.

To my ear, the SJB-1 sounds more like what I associate with a traditional Jazz Bass sound. The AII's sound a bit beefed up in a way that sounds cool, but not as balanced to my ear. The choice would depend on the player's preferences - both very cool.

13. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I liked the piano like ring of the sjb-1 and the low end seemed better defined as well. Very similiar otherwise, I'll have to give those sunbeams a try nice midrange definition. I tried a bunch of jazz pickups from Lindy Fralin to Dimarzios and a few others I can't recall, in the end I really liked the Fender Vintage noiseless pickups, great overall tone for getting a traditional jazz tone and plenty of puch for rock and the noiseless aspect was great. Good luck in your quest.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Nice clips can you describe the signal chain used and your method ?

15. nemo

nemo

Thanks, the chain was very simple as I had my better recording preamp in the studio, I used at home a cheap Behringer MIC100 preamp going to computer. Recorded to Nuendo with some background drum loop, limiter on the 2bus, exported and normalised. No compression, no eq.

To all - my findings regarding the sound of both are in line with yours. I had a short jam with Antiquities and found their highs a bit sticking out of the band, the SJB glued better. But it was only a short jam, I will have regular rehearsal on Tuesday, so I will report more then.

16. GlennW

GlennW

Nice work. I liked them both, but preferred the Ant IIs because seemed to have a fuller sound.

17. Flatwound

Flatwound

For me, it's the Antiquity II's hands down. They have a low-mid grunt that I really like. Also, the G string sounds less "twangy" with the Antiquities. I'm talking about the fingerstyle sounds, I'm not really a slap connoisseur. I thought both slap sounds were good, but different from each other.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Interesting. I like the SJB's better but then I generally do. It's that slightly raw thing they do for me... Oddly enough, I find both your samples to be somewhat mid scooped in comparison to samples of the SJB's done on my ProTools rig. But - I didn't master. Just took a raw sample so your levels are much hotter than mine and that may be what I'm hearing. Your sample sound great!

It could be the Behringer channel strip as well. I just went DI to the recorder input. It isn't a sound I would use in production, more like making a historical record.

19. sincity

sincity

I liked the SJBs much better. Sounded more open. Loved that I could hear the wood in your tone. I know, weird description, but that's what I expect from a mid 70s bass.

20. emjazz

emjazz

+1 on all of the above.

I have the AntII's in my own bass and love them. They've been great for me in a live context as well as for recording. I do really like the SJB-1's though. They've got more grunt and grind to them.

21. narud

narud Supporting Member

in my experience, thats not what to expect from a mid to late 70's ash jazz bass. the stock pickups sound closer to the antiquity 2's without the extended bottom. the pickups in my 78 are wound at around 7.5k and that bass sounds like every other late 70's jazz ive owned.