1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Soundgear by Ibanez; what model is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rollingminority, Jan 26, 2009.

1. rollingminority

rollingminority

So, this is my first bass that I've been playing, and all I know is that it is an Soundgear made by Ibanez. Im guessing it's sort of like a Squier made by Fender type of deal? The pickups say AFR-P and AFR-J, most likely for precision and jazz...Well, anyway, I just don't know what model it is, It looks like an SR800, but im not sure...at all...lol If anyone could help me that would be great. Here are some pictures...Sorry about the crappy pictures, cell phone pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. dakpluto

dakpluto

Looks a SR500 I believe.
  3. Kemet09

Kemet09

Im not authority on the SDGRs at all, but the one you have is made in Japan, which are the good ones, so I'd advise you to never let it leave your grasp! The newer ones are mostly Korean & other countries & are just not as well built. Even the so-called Prestige models are Korean now!

These are NOT the Squire-like equivalents. These were Ibanez' main line axes for a while after the Roadstar II series, I beleive....

Im more of an older IBBY dude... Blazer, Black Eagle, etc, but I've played some of these & have seen them with EMG's in them that sounded great! I actually had a lined fretless but it never sounded right to me fretless. The only reason I let it go was to get a Japanese Fender Jazz!
  4. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

can't you email ibanez with the serial number? I did this to ESP once and they told me everything they had on the guitar.
  5. rollingminority

rollingminority

I didn't even think about that...haha:meh: wow...thanks! I just emailed them.:smug:
  6. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Looks similar to my 80s MIJ SR800. Mine has the PJ pups with 'Low Impedance' written in red, though.

Not a bad axe, but the neck is way to thin for me these days. Probably less than 1.5" at the nut.

Oh, and as noted, these are NOT the low end line. Typically, the soundgear were (don't know about current line up) main production line Ibanez instruments.
  7. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    Hi there. It is hard to tell exactly due to your photos (i cant really make out the finish) but it seems to be a SR 800 TT from 1995.

The serial # reads out like the following:
    F - this means its from the fujigen factory in japan
    5 - this is the year (1995)

21197 - the rest of the numbers is the build number for that year.

Body: American maple
    Neck: 3 piece maple
    Neck Type: SR4
    Frets: 24/ medium
    Fingerboard: rosewood
    Inlay: abalone oval
    Bridge: AccuCast B-IV
    Hardware: Black
    Neck Pickup: Ibanez AFR- P with mid 3 band eq
    Bridge pickup: Ibanez AFR- J with mid 3 band eq

the catalogue for your bass is here: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=214&now=15
    its a good bass so enjoy!...hope this helps
  8. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Let us know how it turns out. I'd like to know, never seen one quite like that.
  9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

Wow, I have the exact same bass, although I'm trying to get rid of mine... not an Ibanez neck fan.
  10. KarateKid25

KarateKid25

Yeah thats what I was going to say. Its the first thing I do when I pick up a new (to me) bass.

Usually they can tell you what the bass is and where / when it was built / when it left the factory etc.
  11. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    ummm...ibanez has already replied lol:D
  12. realbadgroove

realbadgroove

It looks like a 90's SR500 I had one much like it once apon a time.
  13. Beta

Beta

Yeah, but they might be wrong.

You bass is metallic green, isn't it? It looks that way from your pictures. If so, that means it's not Trans Turquoise.

I think it's a 1996 SR800 in Jade Metallic (the bridge, pickups, EQ knobs and color all match, and JM wasn't offered in 1995). Ibanez sometimes has instruments with the serial number showing the year before they actually came out.

Here's the catalog page.
  14. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    it shouldn't matter really, the difference is only in the finish...it's still the same sdgr. Im sure the owner just wanted to know the specs of his bass and the approximate birthdate...but yeah a more accurate colour shot does make i.d easier iv'e had some shocking photos sent over for id's :meh:
  15. stryfox

stryfox

I have the same bass from 1996 japan
    I believe mine is an sr800 in black
  16. stryfox

stryfox

by the way how can you tell a 800 from a 500 from the mid 90's?
  17. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    The bridges are different, the 800 uses the 'AccuCast' whereas the 500 used a more simple die cast bridge.
  18. Ephminus

Ephminus

It's definitely not an SR800.
    The SR800 has the Accucast bridge and if I remember correctly, the hi-lo regulated pickups, I swapped mine out for EMG's.
    It is my oldest and most favorite bass of all time.

Anyone that owns one of these is lucky cuz it really stands out from all the other Ibanez basses I've ever played.

Be proud of your bass...you got a good one there.
    and the bridge isn't a cheap bridge. It's actually a nice high mass bridge.
    The only difference between yours and the Accucast bridge is that the Accucast has more parts too allow for extremely fine adjustments.

Here's my SR800
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found it.
    It's the SR800EG
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=202&now=15
  19. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    you cant see much of it....but this bass looks like it does have the accucast bridge. theres not much else it can be from around that year! its either the 800 in TT or JM unless the serial is wrong or fake which i very much doubt. ;)
  20. Rendog92

Rendog92

Put some new strings on it, get it set up, then you have yourself a great instrument. Its hard to let go of those quality Japanese builds. Thats a really good beginner bass.