Sounding alittle hollow with active switch on?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Parkerblades, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Parkerblades

Parkerblades

I have a really nice jazz bass with a 18v 3 band preamp. Passive switch sounds great crystal clear. With the active on it sounds good but is really load and just a tad hollow sounding. Is this something I just need to work with a little more or is this common?

2. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    Could just be the 'active' sound. It's definitely different. Have you played other actives and not experienced this?

not sure what you mean by 'work with a little more', but it's probably just a preference thing.

3. Parkerblades

Parkerblades

What mean I play with the setting a little more. This the first time I have played one with a preamp this hot. Thanks for your input.

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

As with all problems with active. Have you first tried changing the battery?
    Otherwise, it's most likely just the different sound that active will give. If you're not used to it, I imagine it can be a little difficult to take in at first.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kael

Kael

Sounds like the preamp has a baked in sound. Probably a mid scoop and/or a bass/treble boost. That would account for the "hollow" tone. Just keep in mind that with knobs set "flat" you might still have your sound EQ'd with the active switch thrown.

7. Parkerblades

Parkerblades

I don't think there is really anything wrong with the intrument. I come from play a fender pass so It might just take me some time to really dial in an active sound I like

8. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Does the active circuit have a gain control? It's usually a trim pot in the control cavity. Try rolling it back so that the volume in active mode is closer to the volume in passive mode. Sometimes differences in volume can make it sound like there is more of a tonal/EQ difference between active/passive modes than is actually the case.

9. Parkerblades

Parkerblades

Ok msc4. I will check that out.

10. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Fiddle with the EQ on the bass..That's what it's for.

11. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Like MCS4 mentioned, try to lower the output gain of the preamp. Also, if the preamp is a cut and boost type, you should feel a locking position in the middle (should be flat at that position) when turning the knobs, start from that position and either boost or cut the different preamp knob frequencies to find your tone...