1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Soundpost push up....

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by InQuiet, Apr 7, 2014.

1. InQuiet

InQuiet Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Greetings,
    My carved top has an issue with a soundpost that was obviously way too tight for several years, along with floppy strings. This created a lifting of the top on the soundpost side of course, that's easy to see. What's the treatment for this condition? Would removing the soundpost, shortening it a little, reinstalling it and then adding pressure from the strings eventually push this back? I can't really think of another approach for remedying this. Could someone with experience with such a scenario chime in on this? I'd appreciate it. I'm losing sleep.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Don't shorten the sound post. Remove it and reglue the top, then reinstall sound post.

If this is beyond your ability (it's beyond mine), have a bass shop do it.

I had Upton Bass fix the top of a 1941 Kay that was starting to cave in where the bridge rested on the top.

They reinforced it inside the bass---- top notch repair job.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. InQuiet's bass is carved, john. Totally different paradigm.

Bring it in for pro attention. Last thing you want is a soundpost crack.

5. InQuiet

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks, yea the glue thing was confusing me:help:

6. InQuiet

Jan 29, 2012
    going thru some old topics , someone had the same problem with an Englehardt I believe, he was told to remove the soundpost for awhile and let the bass readjust ? :eyebrow:

7. Plywood is floppy and will return to the shape it was steamed into if it is coaxed with gentle heat and pressure. Re-arching a carved top is significantly more difficult.