Soundproofing my room.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Chrisbassanova, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Chrisbassanova

Chrisbassanova

Hello I am planning on soundproofing my room so I can jam with friends whenever. Any suggestions of what material to use or what's best to use? Also something cheap?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Concrete or bricks. Nothing stops bass thump except mass.

3. Projectile

Projectile

Yep, Downunderwonder is right. Most soundproofing products only attenuate early reflections to make the room sound better acoustically. Nothing except big hulking mass will effectively stop bass from leaving the room. If your goal is to soundproof your room so that you won't piss off your neighbors, it's a lost cause. Bass control literally has to be built into the building itself: concrete, foot thick insulation, double pane windows, resonating chambers, stuff like that. Forget about trying to sound proof a bedroom or makeshift practice space. It's not going to happen. Either play at a lower volume, or find a space where noise isn't an issue.

4. morgansterne

morgansterne

just a note, please don't confuse treatment with soundproofing. Auralex acoustic foam, egg crates, bass traps, etc. , treat sound reflections to make the room sound clearer/cleaner. They do nothing to help keep the neighbors happy.

Soundproofing prevents sound from escaping. the professional method for this is a "floating room" with its own floor, walls and ceiling built inside of your existing room. It would be connected to the outside room only by rubber pads on your existing floor. much cheaper to buy an electronic drum set and keep your volume down.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nagrom

Nagrom

You need two things for soundproofing:

Mass, and an air seal.